Prison and sentencing that works

Criminal punishment  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Criminal punishment

• Prisons should be improved
    • Prisons should be harder
    • Sentences should send more people to prison
    • Sentences should keep more people in the community

Simply because jail as it is to-day is no deterrent, more like a one star hotel for the law breakers - a holiday if you like.

Angel1.

I don't think that's the case. Occasional access to sky TV and a gymnasium does not make up for the lack of freedom, threat of violence and being asked by fellow prisoners to shove contraband up your arse.

No worry, there's no need to remember me. Thank goodness you've pinned a black triangle on yourself so that we can spot you a mile off. Do you have a gas oven nearby to speed things up?

So you'd be quite happy to see a poster on here stick their head in a oven, but not a dirty murdering paedophile?

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 20:12 ----------

]If in 20 years your baby is a convicted peadophile because your partner abused them as a child' date='[/b'] then what? That's what happens to people just like you who think they are ordinary mothers with ordinary lives. You'd condone executing your partner and child.

I don't believe you really think that. I think that you're a bit muddled up and letting your hormones get in the way of your neurons, but I'm considerate like that.

Then it's the system/safeguards that has let them down

So you'd be quite happy to see a poster on here stick their head in a oven, but not a dirty murdering paedophile?

The tongue in cheek reference to black triangles and gas ovens went way over your head. ;) It was making a point about a very serious subject.

It's a very subjective argument and there are no clearcut answers for British criminals. For foreign criminals there are, they should be deported on sentance to serve it in the jail of their homeland. No re-entry to the UK ever. No exceptions. No 'human rights' guff.

That would free up plenty of space and resource to deal with our own criminals.

It's a very subjective argument and there are no clearcut answers for British criminals. For foreign criminals there are, they should be deported on sentance to serve it in the jail of their homeland. No re-entry to the UK ever. No exceptions. No 'human rights' guff.

That would free up plenty of space and resource to deal with our own criminals.

And what if criminals home country refuse to do anything?

And what if criminals home country refuse to do anything?

Pay double rate to the cheapest country that is playing ball to inprison them. Plus cut any aid to the non cooperating country. And make mutual cooperation conditional on them taking their criminals back.

Edited by Quik

3) Cushy. I know we hear this old stereotype but some convicts do have a better life inside than out, because inside they've got a bed and access to food for nothing. Offenders who've completed their sentence get very little in the way of support when they're out, so its common to offend immediately after to get sent back.

I used to have the misfortune of having a neighbour who's brother was a heroin addict. He was also a notorious violent thug, who was committing crime well before he got a monkey on his back.

He once told me (in a moment of clarity, after apologising for an incident a few years before when he threatened me with a hammer :rolleyes:) that he used to deliberately commit a low level crime such as burglary or assault in order to go back inside.

His life in prison was better than it was outside; he didn't have to worry about money, he had a gym to get fit, he'd come off the smack and he didn't have to keep looking over his shoulder all the time. His accommodation was better and it was clean and he had the opportunity to work on his education.

So are you suggesting then that people who have raped & murdered children, beaten their children & tortured them sometimes to death should be allowed to be living in the community & continue in their jobs??? I have worked in prisons for many years & am all for humane treatment of prisoners but not having those people left in our community to inflict further pain & death on people. I also think if someone who murders & rapes or even harms a child should NEVER be given the chance to do it again.

I somehow feel this rant is aimed at me, just to highlight something in my post:

Having worked closely with a prison (visiting every two weeks to collect and deliver books mended by prisoners) in the Netherlands, I feel that putting prisoners in community more is a good idea. Not all categories of prisoners obviously, but one thing I really want to see is that prisoners can carry on in their job whilst incarcerated. This could be managed with tags etc. and of course only if the employer agrees, but taking people out of their employment is a bad idea, it immediately dumps them down the social economical ladder.

If they are unemployed when heading for prison they should be put on a program of training/work placement to give them perspective post-incarceration.