Would a dedicated cycle road network (bikes only), work in the UK?

Can't see how it would be much use to commuting cyclists. The majority commute into or out of a town/city, where there isn't room for a dedicated cycle highway.

Leeds have just added a (rather controversial) cycle lane that is separate from traffic though on one of the main routes.

There is huge scope to introduce cycle-only lanes into the city from most of the outlying neighbourhoods. Where there is a will there is a way. In the Netherlands old cities with narrow roads introduced one-way road systems, 2/3 for cars, 1/3 for bikes. We already have double roads into the city in many places so it shouldn't be hard. It is one of the things that peed me off about the Penistone Road redesign, they completely failed to make the cycle-lane appropriate, ignoring the required infrastructure needed to make it feasible so you can get onto the other side from Hillsborough for example. What we get instead is bits and pieces, cycle crossing here, but not there, bit of cycle lane here, but not across the junction because....

Why shouldn't Broad Lane get a dedicated cycle lane, Scotland Street, Devonshire/Division Street, Eyre Street/Arundel Gate? And more importantly, why not link them up with proper infrastructure (bicycle crossings)?

Which part of Penistone Rd are you thinking about? I can think of maybe a few hundred metres, out of a road that's miles long...

Upper Hanover Street has a tram in the centre, and a pedestrian area... And again, only a hundred metres at best...

Faceplam moment for me there. I meant Hanover Way. I always thought if was called upper hanover street. Thank you Google for that lol .

There is huge scope to introduce cycle-only lanes into the city from most of the outlying neighbourhoods. Where there is a will there is a way. In the Netherlands old cities with narrow roads introduced one-way road systems, 2/3 for cars, 1/3 for bikes. We already have double roads into the city in many places so it shouldn't be hard. It is one of the things that peed me off about the Penistone Road redesign, they completely failed to make the cycle-lane appropriate, ignoring the required infrastructure needed to make it feasible so you can get onto the other side from Hillsborough for example. What we get instead is bits and pieces, cycle crossing here, but not there, bit of cycle lane here, but not across the junction because....

Why shouldn't Broad Lane get a dedicated cycle lane, Scotland Street, Devonshire/Division Street, Eyre Street/Arundel Gate? And more importantly, why not link them up with proper infrastructure (bicycle crossings)?

So you're talking about dedicating EXISTING road space to bikes?

I can't see that being very popular with motorists...

It would be interesting to see what the average distance commuted by bike (in Sheffield and elsewhere) is. If it's just a few miles, then routes into and out of the city probably aren't the best investment.

It would have to be designed properly ... by proper cyclists .... for me to give it the thumbs up.

Example - A year or so ago, there was a dedicated cycle lane built between Bamford and Hathersage. Nice, wide, smooth, so technically all good? Well, no, its not, and very few cyclists (me included) use it. The reason is, every time there is a driveway, the cyclist has to stop and cross that driveway, and start up again after total loss of momentum. This on a slightly uphill road where a 15-20mph momentum has been built up. All because some road planner, who has only ever seen a bicycle from his car window thinks a tractor needs priority when the farmer has to cross the cycle lane once every other day.

Replicate this inexperienced thinking on a grander scale and I'm skeptical

It would be interesting to see what the average distance commuted by bike (in Sheffield and elsewhere) is. If it's just a few miles, then routes into and out of the city probably aren't the best investment.

In Sheffield that would be to nearest hill for most.

I remember going up gleadless hill first thing in morning around 5am every day.

That memory hunts me to this day. Sometimes I wake up screaming.

Bike network makes sense in flat urbanised areas like Belgium and Holland.

Here it would be useless to most for daily commute.

In Sheffield that would be to nearest hill for most.

I remember going up gleadless hill first thing in morning around 5am every day.

That memory hunts me to this day. Sometimes I wake up screaming.

That is just an excuse. The majority of cycle journeys in Sheffield are on the hillier western side of the city. The fewest are in the flatter east side of the city. All that proves is that people on the western side chose to make more cycle journeys. The big question is why.

I've added this map. It isn't the clearest at first glance but it's helpful to make the point if you look closer. http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#12/-1.54890/53.38548/gray/bike

Edited by Eric Arthur

That is just an excuse. The majority of cycle journeys in Sheffield are on the hillier western side of the city. The fewest are in the flatter east side of the city. All that proves is that people on the western side chose to make more cycle journeys. The big question is why.

Where's the data from about the volume of cycle journeys?