27 members have voted

1. 1. As a cyclists tick the option which best represents your Strava usage

• I'm not a cyclist
    • Cyclist - Don't use Strava, ever.
    • Cyclist - Use strava for every journey
    • Cyclist - Use Strava when I commute to work, no other time
    • Cyclist - Use Strava for cycling OTHER than commute
    • Cyclist - Other, I'll explain

Oh, so I haven't learned that you commute to work on your bike and log every journey.

You just produced a narrow set of questions that only vaguely represents what I happen to do as a sample of one. What I don't do is leave my house, cycle to a place of work, sit there all day getting angry, cycle home, stay angry, like you, as a sample of one. Other people might do something else that they consider to be commuting.

Are you drunk perhaps, or high?

I suppose that is the best that you can manage after creating this troll thread based on rubbish questions with which you want to make assumptions based on wrong assumptions brought on by confirmation bias. You really are a peach, but at least you're consistently easy to work out and you're fun to play with sometimes, but not in a nice way.

So tell us Cyclone, why did you make it a public poll?

Since I didn't define "commuting" it's open to be interpreted. That doesn't invalidate the survey in the slightest.

I told you once why I made it public. Do you want it tattooed on your arm so that you can keep referring back to the answer.

How come you've never mentioned cycling before? Just taken it up today perhaps?

Since I didn't define "commuting" it's open to be interpreted. That doesn't invalidate the survey in the slightest.

I told you once why I made it public. Do you want it tattooed on your arm so that you can keep referring back to the answer.

How come you've never mentioned cycling before? Just taken it up today perhaps?

I did not say that I commuted by bike. You are trying so hard to be right that you are tripping yourself up and looking like a proper Charlie.

For what it's worth I've been cycling for about 40 years. So long in fact that it is so ordinary that I don't feel the need to mention it, in fact it's just like riding a bike. I sometimes commute by bike. Sometimes I go out for a nice ride. Sometimes I go to the shops. Sometimes I go to the pub. Sometimes I do other things. It's just a bike ride.

Not sure if this is a genuine thread or just an opportunity to have a personal pop at other users.

However, I must admit to being a bit of a strava addict, with over 50 Koms. I was always a keen biker but strava made it even more addictive for me.

I agree, as I've said it's all about the segments on the hills rather than the time for the actual commute.

I don't get feeling smug about doing a fast commute through a city, because it's as likely to be a reflection of getting a series of green traffic lights and clear sections at junctions than a monster effort or improved fitness.

Strava can be set to auto-pause at lights it gives me a total time and a moving time, although that has the opposite effect of not including your rest at the traffic lights.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 21:57 ----------

I use it for running mostly, and when running I even track my commute.

I could use it for cycling to work, but I don't see why I would, I'm not trying to set a new PB on that route. So I'd only use it if biking not on a commute.

As to why people use it, I like to track my progress against myself and against friends (that's for running, I don't have a road bike, so no speed competition there).

Pete - It doesn't need mobile data to work. I've used it in France to track snowboarding with data turned off. It just uploads when it has wifi in the chalet.

from my experience it seems to need to have had the map of the location loaded before you try to start it. Whenever I use it in the peaks and there is no data connection to start with it won't locate me on a map so for some reason and it gets the start and end locations completely wrong. Last time it said I did 1km in 44 min and ran in straight lines across water. If I load the map in Strava before, for where I know my start location is, then press start when i get there it works fine. So it seems to be dependent on the data connection and the map rather than the gps.

Strava can be set to auto-pause at lights it gives me a total time and a moving time, although that has the opposite effect of not including your rest at the traffic lights

It won't pause your time on the segments though, so you won't see how you're doing against other people.

I did not say that I commuted by bike. You are trying so hard to be right that you are tripping yourself up and looking like a proper Charlie.

For what it's worth I've been cycling for about 40 years. So long in fact that it is so ordinary that I don't feel the need to mention it, in fact it's just like riding a bike. I sometimes commute by bike. Sometimes I go out for a nice ride. Sometimes I go to the shops. Sometimes I go to the pub. Sometimes I do other things. It's just a bike ride.

I'd love to know the history of all this. Why is it so important that Eric should never have mentioned riding a bike? There are many people who have not mentioned things they do. I've never mentioned that I like reading Catherine Cookson novels (admittedly this is because I don't)

Edited by TimmyR