27 members have voted

1. 1. As a cyclists tick the option which best represents your Strava usage

• I'm not a cyclist
    • Cyclist - Don't use Strava, ever.
    • Cyclist - Use strava for every journey
    • Cyclist - Use Strava when I commute to work, no other time
    • Cyclist - Use Strava for cycling OTHER than commute
    • Cyclist - Other, I'll explain

I'd love to know the history of all this. Why is it so important that Eric should never have mentioned riding a bike? There are many people who have not mentioned things they do. I've never mentioned that I like reading Catherine Cookson novels (admittedly this is because I don't)

I'm as bemused as you Timmy. It looks like Cyclone set up a thread so that the can tell me what I think and do, but he's made a bit of a hash of it and seems to have disappeared.

^ This is an irresistible cue for him to reappear to tell me what I think and do again, probably in a line by line disassembly and rebuttal of something I wrote. :confused:

^^ this is a Catch 22.

I'd love to know the history of all this. Why is it so important that Eric should never have mentioned riding a bike? There are many people who have not mentioned things they do. I've never mentioned that I like reading Catherine Cookson novels (admittedly this is because I don't)

Here you go Timmy, background

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11296142

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 09:24 ----------

I'm as bemused as you Timmy. It looks like Cyclone set up a thread so that the can tell me what I think and do, but he's made a bit of a hash of it and seems to have disappeared.

^ This is an irresistible cue for him to reappear to tell me what I think and do again, probably in a line by line disassembly and rebuttal of something I wrote. :confused:

^^ this is a Catch 22.

I set it up to find out how people use Strava Eric.

I just find it interesting that you popped up all of a sudden as a commuting, strava using cyclist.

I did indeed 'disappear' going out for the evening. Sorry about not being glued to the computer all the time.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 09:26 ----------

Strava can be set to auto-pause at lights it gives me a total time and a moving time, although that has the opposite effect of not including your rest at the traffic lights.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 21:57 ----------

from my experience it seems to need to have had the map of the location loaded before you try to start it. Whenever I use it in the peaks and there is no data connection to start with it won't locate me on a map so for some reason and it gets the start and end locations completely wrong. Last time it said I did 1km in 44 min and ran in straight lines across water. If I load the map in Strava before, for where I know my start location is, then press start when i get there it works fine. So it seems to be dependent on the data connection and the map rather than the gps.

Hmm, odd.

To be fair, when snowboarding I use a different app, and it then syncs with Strava, so I'm sure you're correct.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 09:27 ----------

I did not say that I commuted by bike. You are trying so hard to be right that you are tripping yourself up and looking like a proper Charlie.

For what it's worth I've been cycling for about 40 years. So long in fact that it is so ordinary that I don't feel the need to mention it, in fact it's just like riding a bike. I sometimes commute by bike. Sometimes I go out for a nice ride. Sometimes I go to the shops. Sometimes I go to the pub. Sometimes I do other things. It's just a bike ride.

Oh, so you ticked the box that said you did, but you don't... I see.

Edited by Cyclone

I did actually read that thread and i'm still a little bemused but anyway I shan't get involved.

Strava is great, addictive but I don't use it for commuting, simply because its rather tedious waiting for my gps watch to find satellites every time I set off to work and I ride those roads all the time.

Strava is great, addictive but I don't use it for commuting, simply because its rather tedious waiting for my gps watch to find satellites every time I set off to work and I ride those roads all the time.

Probably how a lot of strava users feel when going out to their morning commute.