Can you report someone Single Person Council Tax Discount fraud?

I'm not a landlord. My ex partner lives in the property. I suspect he has also moved someone else in, which is not permitted by the terms of the mortgage.

I am in the process of trying to sell the property but he refused to co operate, and we have exhausted all other options.

I'm not a landlord. My ex partner lives in the property. I suspect he has also moved someone else in, which is not permitted by the terms of the mortgage.

I am in the process of trying to sell the property but he refused to co operate, and we have exhausted all other options.

Paying a single occupancy council tax has nothing to do with the sale of your house.

Are you sure you're not just bitter he's got someone else in there with him and you're being petty by reporting it?

''i'll show him'' ;)

Also, what sort of mortgage do you have which states another person isn't allowed to live in the property with owner?

Were you a very happy landlord ? Or were you a lucky landlord ?

You make your own luck!

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 13:54 ----------

So your just bitter?

I learnt at an early age that alienating people enables you to get less from them.

Who's we?

You make your own luck!

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 13:54 ----------

So your just bitter?

I learnt at an early age that alienating people enables you to get less from them.

Who's we?

Or you can't read...she clearly says it's against the terms of the mortgage, so if she owns the house then she is at risk of defaulting on her mortgage and losing the house. I think in that situation I'd be pretty narked too.

Or you can't read...she clearly says it's against the terms of the mortgage, so if she owns the house then she is at risk of defaulting on her mortgage and losing the house. I think in that situation I'd be pretty narked too.

You can only default on your mortgage if you don't pay your mortgage payment. Council Tax has nothing to do with your mortgage nor defaulting on your mortgage.

You can only default on your mortgage if you don't pay your mortgage payment. Council Tax has nothing to do with your mortgage nor defaulting on your mortgage.

It is national non-reading day today? I have no idea what her mortgage terms are and neither does anyone except the OP. I was just saying that if what has said was true then it's understandable why she's upset as she could potentially have her house repossessed. That was all.

In fact it's quite possibly true. I can't rent out my house without the lenders permission. If I did and they found out I'd be in breach of my mortgage terms and they'd be well within their rights to demand full repayment of my mortgage which would end in a repossession when I couldn't pay.

However, not sure why the thread title is what it is though as her actual complaint is with a breach of her mortgage terms.

Iasbelle - you might want to bury your head in the sand on this one. If you do find out that your mortgage terms are effectively in breach then I would imagine not declaring it might be seen as fraud. If you don't look into it at all, you can hand on heart say you weren't aware. Reporting him/her to the council for single person council tax would not solve your issue as I can't imagine he'd suddenly kick his new missus out because of it. I strongly suggest you obtain legal advice if you haven't already done so to make sure your investment (the house) is safe.

Edited by sgtkate

No, but council tax is the bit that is illegal and may force his hand.

If she is wanting to sell the house and move on, having another person live there is only adding another resident which may make eviction more complicated

It is national non-reading day today? I have no idea what her mortgage terms are and neither does anyone except the OP. I was just saying that if what has said was true then it's understandable why she's upset as she could potentially have her house repossessed. That was all.

In fact it's quite possibly true. I can't rent out my house without the lenders permission. If I did and they found out I'd be in breach of my mortgage terms and they'd be well within their rights to demand full repayment of my mortgage which would end in a repossession when I couldn't pay.

However, not sure why the thread title is what it is though as her actual complaint is with a breach of her mortgage terms.

Yeah that's what buy to let mortgages are for... but if her ex is co-owner of the property and makes payments towards to the mortgage then it's different.

and I can read thank you... got me gigs on :P

Suspect is different from know. Go and see someone at the law centre or a solicitor. You can. force him to sell. You should really take some legal advice. I dont think it does you any good reporting him for council tax fraud, becayse you dont know the situation amd i cant see how it benefits you in helping to sell the property.

You need to check how that property is owned, jointly or as tenants in common i.e shares. You should take advice after someone has interviewed you properly and they know all the details.