Can you report someone Single Person Council Tax Discount fraud?

No, but council tax is the bit that is illegal and may force his hand.

If she is wanting to sell the house and move on, having another person live there is only adding another resident which may make eviction more complicated

And grassing them up will just make the person entitled to be there even more hostile.Thats hardly a winning formula.

When they have been grassed up,nothing will have changed other than the amount of money going to the council.....Possibly.

No, but council tax is the bit that is illegal and may force his hand.

If she is wanting to sell the house and move on, having another person live there is only adding another resident which may make eviction more complicated

Yes but even if she does report him he'll only get a slap on the wrist and be told to pay back what he owes at a ridiculously low amount a week/month.. Still wont mean he has to leave the property..

You make your own luck!

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 13:54 ----------

So your just bitter?

I learnt at an early age that alienating people enables you to get less from them.

Who's we?

Not bitter at all, after 5 years I don't care if he is with someone else.

I moved on long ago, but after 5 years his refusal to take me off the mortgage means I am still tied in legally and financially.

"We" is me and the ex.

I have tried everything possible to get my name off the mortgage, and he just keeps delaying matters. So there is nothing "less" that he can give me.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 13:54 ----------

So your just bitter?

I learnt at an early age that alienating people enables you to get less from them.

Who's we?

The OP just wants to sell the house which is more difficult if her ex has moved a new partner into the house . I don't think that is being bitter .

This is my first post hope, i am not too intrusive,

If the op, or any other landlord who lets out there property and does not check who live's in that property, could be liable to a big fine if the residents of the property are not legally in this country.

Thats not to infer that any poster is in that position.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/492648/2016-01-5__Document_Guidance_For_Landlords_V1_1.pdf

The traveler

Not bitter at all, after 5 years I don't care if he is with someone else.

I moved on long ago, but after 5 years his refusal to take me off the mortgage means I am still tied in legally and financially.

"We" is me and the ex.

I have tried everything possible to get my name off the mortgage, and he just keeps delaying matters. So there is nothing "less" that he can give me.

Have you taken legal advice on forcing a sale? Apply for a court order to force sale. He can either comply or make a settlement with you.

As above.

I tried Googling it, but I couldn't find an answer.

Also, is there a way of finding out who is living at a particular address?

I own a property, and I want to know if more than one person is living there.

Yes you can report them and don't feel bad for doing it.

Its difficult to prove someone is living there, but if you report it, the council have an obligation to investigate the claim. They will usually write to the registered person living there reminding them that its a criminal offence to commit council tax fraud.

Suspect is different from know. Go and see someone at the law centre or a solicitor. You can. force him to sell. You should really take some legal advice. I dont think it does you any good reporting him for council tax fraud, becayse you dont know the situation amd i cant see how it benefits you in helping to sell the property.

You need to check how that property is owned, jointly or as tenants in common i.e shares. You should take advice after someone has interviewed you properly and they know all the details.

Thanks, I have a solicitor, and am on the brink of taking the matter to court.

I have made one final plea (after many many previous requests) to him to sell the property without going to court to save the expense and stress of court.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 14:34 ----------

Have you taken legal advice on forcing a sale? Apply for a court order to force sale. He can either comply or make a settlement with you.

He cannot get a mortgage on his own, so no settlement can be made, therefore there is only one option of selling up.

Thanks, I have a solicitor, and am on the brink of taking the matter to court.

I have made one final plea (after many many previous requests) to him to sell the property without going to court to save the expense and stress of court.

Ask your solicitor if theres anything you can do to make him bear the cost due to his lack of co operation. Without knowing the full details its hard to comment. There are plenty of divorce forums. Any order needs to be clear in timescale as well as how a value is worked out plus what offers are acceptable and what can be refused. Your solicitor should be advising you.

I'm assuming there are no children.

---------- Post added 11-02-2016 at 14:43 ----------

He cannot get a mortgage on his own, so no settlement can be made, therefore there is only one option of selling up.

In that case just get a court order to force sale,. Get a quote from your sol as to how much it will cost.Od have him pay the cost from his share of the proceeds.

Not sure getting him into trouble with the LA has much going for it.

Upi cna talk to the mortgage company about whether he's in breach, but by default you might be declaring yourself in breac as you are both on the mortgage.