Seven day NHS, free?

I doubt they will quit en mass, but it cna have the following effects.

People choose more attractive careers, so some of the very brightest go elsewhere.

It creates unhappiness within the workforce meaning they are less motivated and less productive.

More people leave the profession resulting in lower retention levels an a lowering of the skills and experience within the NHS, whilst increasing the need for locums.

It could have that affect or it might not have that affect, I am sure David Dalton will have considered the consequences of changing the contract and enforcing it.

I doubt they will quit en mass, but it cna have the following effects.

People choose more attractive careers, so some of the very brightest go elsewhere.

It creates unhappiness within the workforce meaning they are less motivated and less productive.

More people leave the profession resulting in lower retention levels an a lowering of the skills and experience within the NHS, whilst increasing the need for locums.

Nope it won't. Junior doctors may leave to work elsewhere initially but qualified doctors will always come to the NHS for reasons including high pay compared to other countries. The last I read, UK doctors were the second highest paid in the world, second to the USA. This is why there are so many foreign consultants working in our hospitals. The NHS is a magnet for doctors from all over the world.

Nope it won't. Junior doctors may leave to work elsewhere initially but qualified doctors will always come to the NHS for reasons including high pay compared to other countries. The last I read, UK doctors were the second highest paid in the world, second to the USA. This is why there are so many foreign consultants working in our hospitals. The NHS is a magnet for doctors from all over the world.

I am talking about the retention of UK trained Drs . There are so many foreign Drs here because so many UK Drs leave.

Care to link up the pay research? Pay is only one factor. You should compare like with like.

I am talking about the retention of UK trained Drs . There are so many foreign Drs here because so many UK Drs leave.

Care to link up the pay research? Pay is only one factor. You should compare like with like.

There are so many foreign doctors because its a buyers market. The remuneration package offered to doctors is very appealing and so the NHS can cast it net far and wide.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 11:36 ----------

The evidence, although imprefect, does suggest that SOME UK doctors are among the best paid within developed countries as a proportion of the average wage in each country.

https://fullfact.org/news/are-british-doctors-among-best-paid-world/

I'm quoting back when Labour were (not) negotiating the GPs contract. The GPS union made a demand for X and Labour said, OK. The union were gobsmacked as that was their starting position and expected to be negotiated down. Things may have changed a little now.

Most doctors leaving the NHS leave because they can earn more and work fewer hours in countries like Australia. The new contracts increase their hourly rate and reduces their maximum hours, that's more cash for fewer hours. Still won't be enough to compete with countries like Australia though.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/nov/08/nhs-doctors-in-australia-more-cash-fewer-hours-less-pressure

Most doctors leaving the NHS leave because they can earn more and work fewer hours in countries like Australia. The new contracts increase their hourly rate and reduces their maximum hours, that's more cash for fewer hours. Still won't be enough to compete with countries like Australia though.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/nov/08/nhs-doctors-in-australia-more-cash-fewer-hours-less-pressure

So in a nutshell, it is all about pay then nothing to do with "patient safety"

There are so many foreign doctors because its a buyers market. The remuneration package offered to doctors is very appealing and so the NHS can cast it net far and wide.

Your missing the point, which is if we retained British Drs, then we wouldnt need to recruit abroad.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 13:40 ----------

There are a whole variety of junior Drs. Some of them are better off and some of them worse off, so its pretty simplistic to start going on about a great deal.

So in a nutshell, it is all about pay then nothing to do with "patient safety"

Hunt made sure that he said it was all settled, except for agreement over Saturday working. It 'was' about working too many hours, but that may, or may not, have been agreed.