Alcohol being sold in schools

See post #64, responsible drinking is a good example.

To me, responsible drinking is not drinking during a school play, not drinking when driving, not drinking when shopping and not drinking when doing DIY; that leaves the odd evening and weekend, and not the 2 pints per day, every day allowance.

My god what a hysterical place we are becoming.

waaa waaa! the children! wont somebody please think of the children!

Seriously the way some people are reacting its as if these adults were queued 10 deep at the trestle table desperately topping up on their £1 Sambuca shots and cheeky vimtos.

Most normal adults have the occasional drink. Some take it too far and get tanked up. Others have medical problems. Some just choose not drink at all.

However, for the majority middle - occasional drinks, particularly in a social or leisure setting is normal.

Its not damaging the child. Its not going to turn them into drunken rampaging idiots as soon as they turn to teens.

God sake, our continental neighbours expose their children to alcohol at a far far younger age. Drinking wine with lunch and family dinners several times a day and several days a week is normal life. Children in France and Spain particularly see their parents and even partake themselves into a small drink at a very early age.

Funny how these nations have far less incidents and reported histories of Friday/Saturday night chaos and people spilling all over the pavements.

At the end of the day, its just a nice gesture for those adults coming to see the show. If it earns a few quid for a school at the same time - what the problem.

No worse than when a department store offers mulled wine whilst you shop at Christmas or some car dealership offers a glass of champagne when they launch some new car.

Lighten up people.

To me, responsible drinking is not drinking during a school play, not drinking when driving, not drinking when shopping and not drinking when doing DIY; that leaves the odd evening and weekend, and not the 2 pints per day, every day allowance.

I can see why you wouldn't think drinking when driving or operating power tools was responsible behaviour. But I can't see how it's responsible to not drink at a play (school or otherwise).

At a guess your argument is circular. You say that it's irresponsible to drink in front of children (without explaining why), and thus you shouldn't drink at a school.

I say that demonstrating drinking responsibly (ie without any danger or bad behaviour and in a controlled way) is responsible and thus is setting a good example for children.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 13:43 ----------

Sorry wrong, Prostitution isn't legal.

Yes it is. :roll:

I can see why you wouldn't think drinking when driving or operating power tools was responsible behaviour. But I can't see how it's responsible to not drink at a play (school or otherwise).

At a guess your argument is circular. You say that it's irresponsible to drink in front of children (without explaining why), and thus you shouldn't drink at a school.

I say that demonstrating drinking responsibly (ie without any danger or bad behaviour and in a controlled way) is responsible and thus is setting a good example for children.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 13:43 ----------

Yes it is. :roll:

Indeed it is. Touting for business is the only illegal part. Being paid for sex is perfectly fine under UK law.

If the school had been selling tea and coffee, I dont think that I would have complained.

You think its ok to be a little bit drunk, when you are parenting a child; would 1-2 bottles be ok, but 3-4 not ok?

Perhaps it is like driving, 1-2 bottles is ok, but some want a zero limit?

If the school had been selling tea and coffee, I dont think that I would have complained.

You think its ok to be a little bit drunk, when you are parenting a child; would 1-2 bottles be ok, but 3-4 not ok?

You only think that you wouldn't complain of your school served coffee or tea to adults!

Would you be a "little bit drunk" on one bottle of beer?

Alcohol impairs your judgment, even in small amounts, that is why some want a zero limit.

A zero limit or a zero additional limit? As we don't all start at the same point in terms of blood alcohol level a true zero limit would end up with a whole lot of teetotallers losing their licenses.