Alcohol being sold in schools

That isn't a good argument as to why it shouldn't be sold. If it's on sale and a parent chooses NOT to buy it, that's a much stronger lesson that it's not necessary.

It is a good argument as showing children that its not necessary is a better lesson to teach.

And if they do choose to buy it and drink responsibly, then that's an excellent lesson that we particularly in the UK need to teach more.

But its not a lesson.

The problem is that its addictive and just telling someone to drink responsible does not enter into it. Its a bit like telling a heroin addict not to take so much. Adults know they should drink responsibly and are constantly told to do so but that does not stop them being alcoholics, getting liver disease, having fights, beating wives etc. Alcohol treated problems is one of the biggest drains on the NHS and also police resources. The governments want to put restrictions and extra tax on its sale, and recently we have the new unit consumption guidelines, so there must be a reason for that.

As stated, I brew my own but I am constantly being asked to sell a few bottles but I refuse and tell them I will show them how to brew it. The normal response then is something like "but if I did I would quickly become an alcoholic."

The fact is that the continent, where exposure to alcohol is the norm, has far less of a social problem with alcohol.

But where is the evidence to back that up, as far as I can see they may have less of a problem but it seems purely anecdotal. Go to the holiday resorts in Spain and you will see exactly how the Brits and other nationalities act when drinking to excess.

You seem to be arguing that on the contrary, it should be hidden away from children, as if more of the same will somehow fix the social problems that we see from alcohol...

As a responsible drinker I'm not arguing that it should be hidden away, only that it is unnecessary to promote it at a school play.

It is a good argument as showing children that its not necessary is a better lesson to teach.

But its not a lesson.

The problem is that its addictive and just telling someone to drink responsible does not enter into it. Its a bit like telling a heroin addict not to take so much. Adults know they should drink responsibly and are constantly told to do so but that does not stop them being alcoholics, getting liver disease, having fights, beating wives etc. Alcohol treated problems is one of the biggest drains on the NHS and also police resources. The governments want to put restrictions and extra tax on its sale, and recently we have the new unit consumption guidelines, so there must be a reason for that.

As stated, I brew my own but I am constantly being asked to sell a few bottles but I refuse and tell them I will show them how to brew it. The normal response then is something like "but if I did I would quickly become an alcoholic."

But where is the evidence to back that up, as far as I can see they may have less of a problem but it seems purely anecdotal. Go to the holiday resorts in Spain and you will see exactly how the Brits and other nationalities act when drinking to excess.

As a responsible drinker I'm not arguing that it should be hidden away, only that it is unnecessary to promote it at a school play.

Something being available does not equate to said something being promoted.

It's as simple as that.

Something being available does not equate to said something being promoted. It's as simple as that.

It is a matter of what is being sold. If they only sell unhealthy, sugar loaded cans of fizzy pop and bottles of Budweiser, then they are not promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Its double standards if they encourage healthy behaviours in school hours, then after school do the opposite.

This was a school play, not the school rented out to another organisation.

I disagree. They see lots of places without alcohol for sale all the time.

It teaches them nothing.

But its not a lesson.

Yes, it most definitely is.

The problem is that its addictive and just telling someone to drink responsible does not enter into it.

Sure.

So all the parents at this school who had a bottle of bud were suddenly addicted.

They all then got in fights, pee'd in the doorways and then were shipped off to A&E to have their stomach's pumped...

Is that what you think happened?

Seriously. It's very well documented.

Go to those holiday resorts and you will see Brits drunk and misbehaving.

So you are arguing that it should be hidden away. Out of the sight of children, exactly my point.

---------- Post added 18-02-2016 at 09:06 ----------

It is a matter of what is being sold. If they only sell unhealthy, sugar loaded cans of fizzy pop and bottles of Budweiser, then they are not promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Its double standards if they encourage healthy behaviours in school hours, then after school do the opposite.

This was a school play, not the school rented out to another organisation.

An entirely different argument to the ones presented earlier.

Yes, it most definitely is.

No its not:

Definition of lesson:

Part quote "It involves one or more students (also called pupils or learners in some circumstances) being taught by a teacher or instructor."

So all the parents at this school who had a bottle of bud were suddenly addicted.

They all then got in fights, pee'd in the doorways and then were shipped off to A&E to have their stomach's pumped...

Is that what you think happened?

Straw-man alert.. :rolleyes:

Seriously. It's very well documented.

Being documented it may be but that's all.

It does not follow that just because there are less social problems its because exposure to alcohol is the norm, as the reasons are not fully known why.

Go to those holiday resorts and you will see Brits drunk and misbehaving.

Which is exactly what I wrote.

So you are arguing that it should be hidden away. Out of the sight of children

Another straw-man alert.:roll:

Err. Yes, that's the definition of a lesson.

And in this case the teacher is their parent and the student is the child. See.

Or did you imagine that it had to be a qualified school teacher?

That was a question, a question can't be a strawman. But it seems that you agree that the parents probably acted responsibly.

Good, so you agree that it's Brits that have a problem with alcohol, in contrast to most european countries that do not, and where coincidentally children are exposed to it as a normal part of life rather than having it hidden away, which is what you're advocating.

The last was not a strawman, it was a statement about the argument you are making.

Err. Yes, that's the definition of a lesson.

And in this case the teacher is their parent and the student is the child. See.

Or did you imagine that it had to be a qualified school teacher?

Still does not address the fact that it is not a lesson.

That was a question, a question can't be a strawman.

It can as I have just invented the term.

But it seems that you agree that the parents probably acted responsibly.

I didn't agree that at all, you just assume that I did.

Good, so you agree that it's Brits that have a problem with alcohol, in contrast to most european countries that do not, and where coincidentally children are exposed to it as a normal part of life rather than having it hidden away, which is what you're advocating.

I'm not advocating anything, you are, but you now seem to agree that it is in fact just a coincidence.

The last was not a strawman, it was a statement about the argument you are making.

Which is just a straw-man argument in disguise.

Edited by apelike

Still does not address the fact that it is not a lesson.

It still is a lesson. You just don't understand what the word means.

It can as I have just invented the term.

No, you haven't, you've just misused and carefully avoided answer the question that was asked.

I didn't agree that at all, you just assume that I did.

Because you refuse to answer the question.

Go ahead and state your position, stop trying to avoid it.

I'm not advocating anything, you are, but you now seem to agree that it is in fact just a coincidence.

Yes, you are.

Which is just a straw-man argument in disguise.

No, it's a statement. I'm tempted to make another one about how you're playing the fool because you can't actually refute any of the points that have been made...