The Fox House Public House

JBFox

Have a look on trip advisor,it's got far more bad reports than good,including mine from 1 week ago.I think jbfox must have been to a different foxhouse than me.

The other fox house pub that I know is located first left past the Flouch roundabout on the Holmfirth road, this one is well worth the trip out a pal of mine is a chef there. All food is cooked to order ,not cheap but very well cooked and presented, but sadly no ornate rich paintwork or what ever the phrase was.

I think its tragic when these horrid pub chains take on great old pubs like Fox House and turn them into bland chain pubs, the Castle at Castleton (would you believe) suffered the same fate, if I was a walker i'd make I walked a bit further to avoid such garbage.

I think its tragic when these horrid pub chains take on great old pubs like Fox House and turn them into bland chain pubs, the Castle at Castleton (would you believe) suffered the same fate, if I was a walker i'd make I walked a bit further to avoid such garbage.

I agree most pubs in Hathersage and Castleton (with the possible exception of the Scotsmans pack which I think is the only remotely "public" bars left in Hathersage ) are dreadful now ,overpriced food and little to no atmosphere.

Used to really like the Fox House was a real walkers pub with character now it feel like what it is a hotel bar/restaurant.

These day I come back to Sheffield for a drink if I've been out there.

I agree most pubs in Hathersage and Castleton (with the possible exception of the Scotsmans pack which I think is the only remotely "public" bars left in Hathersage ) are dreadful now ,overpriced food and little to no atmosphere.

Used to really like the Fox House was a real walkers pub with character now it feel like what it is a hotel bar/restaurant.

These day I come back to Sheffield for a drink if I've been out there.

Yeah I like the Scotsmans Pack, there are some good ones out in the Peaks but you have to look for them.

I

There is both a dining and a drinking area, where quality ales such as Doombar are available. The food is absolutely delicious, and it is all presented to the highest standards. The soup in particular was well seasoned and had a rich texture.

I am guessing you are not a real ale drinker as I wouldn't class Doombar as quality ale, its boring and one I avoid.

Plus this place is overpriced for what it is.

Thing is that they have belonged to the same company for years. Both were formerly Bass Taverns. Mitchells and Butler is now the trading name for that group which includes Vintage Inns, Ember Inns, Crown Carveries and Sizzler pubs.

I think you have to now - there is hardly any seating inside for drinks only now so you can never get a table, because they insist you have to buy food. I suppose in summer they to have the tables outside for drinks only though.

The other fox house pub that I know is located first left past the Flouch roundabout on the Holmfirth road, this one is well worth the trip out a pal of mine is a chef there. All food is cooked to order ,not cheap but very well cooked and presented, but sadly no ornate rich paintwork or what ever the phrase was.

I agree with you on this, the Fox House near Holmfirth is well worth a visit but I do remember someone giving this one a bad name some years ago, it could have been on trip adviser when they had clicked onto the wrong Fox House , it was meant to be the one in the Peak District by the description.

I have been to the one in the Peak District and it's terrible, not worth the long drive out there.

I recently had a delicious luncheon engagement at The Fox House, which is located on the outskirts of Sheffield. The 19th century former coaching inn has kept it's fashion finger on the pulse, with a thoroughly modern country house feel.

There is both a dining and a drinking area, where quality ales such as Doombar are available. The food is absolutely delicious, and it is all presented to the highest standards. The soup in particular was well seasoned and had a rich texture.

The bar is located on the edge of the glorious Peak District National Park, with surrounding views of Grindleford and The Longshaw Estate. It boasts an outdoor seating area and in the summer months, outdoor dining is available.

I would definitely recommend it.

You must have very low standards if you like their crap over priced food.

The place is awful.

You must have very low standards if you like their crap over priced food.

The place is awful.

depends what you are comparing it to?? to be fair you get a reasonable pub meal in a nice environment, its certainly not expensive and its a damn sight better than sizzling, wethespoons and flaming grills but maybe thats what your used to pricing wise? no its not gastro and most of it is central supplier Brakes as someone else said but its reasonable or it is usually sometimes you get the odd crap one, now if you are looking for a really good food offering Vero Gusto or Milanos fit the bill but the price is triple, personally i eat out once a week at the above or similar and maybe once at the pub chains like vintage and it works for me.