Whatever happened to the Alf Van?

• 11 months later...
I remember an Alf Pawley who lived on Carrill Road in the post war years (1945-50.) I was going to Foxhill Junior school at the time. I remember his son was Derek Pawley, he was about 10 years older than me. Alf had a van, and sold fruit and veg out of it. I remember him as a pleasantly plump man (Politically correct way of saying 'a fat bugger') He had a very hoarse voice. On a similar topic, does anyone remember a man who lived somewhere in that immediate area who was a rag man? He had a horse and cart, and used to stand on the cart, kind of a flat platform with no sides, and crack a whip at the horse. I remember one time he started the horse going down Foxhill Road while standing on the cart, and the horse ran away down the hill and he fell off! Can't remember his name, but would recognise it if I heard it.

was it walt pedley!

• 3 weeks later...

yea I bought a terraced house in 71 off Tony Pawley who drove alfs van,

up to a few years ago he owned a friut shop in Walkley, near the netto he may still do 4 all I know,he did have a brother who drove a different van but I can't be sure.

• 1 month later...

I worked for Gillotts bakery from 58-60, 4 drivers from there started their own business's going around the estates, I only remember 2 names, Alf Beckingham & Don North.

It was funny to see how thick some people were in those days, Gillotts had 3 bread vans going around the same area, Gillotts, Bakers Boy & My Baker, the vans were painted different colours, and the bread was wrapped in different paper, apart from that everything was the same, but people swore blind that the bread was always better from one or the other. :loopy:

• 2 months later...
o my god me and my sisters were talking about alf and when we used to get sweets from him on tick untill my mum found out that was on chaucer close mum used to go mad with alf for selling us the sweets which would run into nearly a fiver at the time lol the fletchers van was only good for elephants feet and bread alf was nice cos u could get stuff off the tick like luckybags

hi, you mentioned chaucer close, i lived there from 1965 my dad was there until he had to go into a home in 2005. i also remember Alfs van and the fletchers van holding onto the back as he travelled along, that's untill we got caught and got a roasting. my mates used to pinch the empty pop bottles from the back of Alfs van whilst he was parked at the bottom of the close then return them when he parked at the top of the close and then get the deposit back, cheeky!!!

Archived