Whatever happened to the Alf Van?

derek used to go on my grandmas road (keats road, foxhill) in the middle of his round and as kids we took it in turns to take him his dinner which my grandma made him every sunday. it was a HUGE yorkshire pudding with gravy in the middle. when my grandma died in 1986 my aunt carried it on for a few more years.

Derek was great, all our family had weekly shop on tick until middle of week when they got paid. my mum still sees his wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Alf's van is still about somewhere.Not the original one of course.His wife Nellie used to have it as well.More recently their son David was selling from it,as they could be well into their 80's by now.

The Alf van used to stand at the end of Keats Road,in the Lay by....Grimsell Walk.

Fletcher's van was a big old articulated ex RAF wagon, converted.He also had a shop just down on the Parson Cross near Mansell.

David

• 1 month later...

i used to go to alfs van as well and his son derek my mum and her husband still talk to them even now, i used to love the sweets he used to have on, i used to live on foxhill cres also daves van used to come on my nan road (brailsford ave) with his 'magic wallet'

• 4 months later...
I worked it for a couple of weeks till my mother found out.She made me stop because I was out late.I used to live on Edgewell Place.

I lived on Edgewell Place late 70s early 80s.

The Woods family.

Archived