Pictures Of Dykes Hall Road

Virus

Specifically number 96 (Not there anymore...) I tried Picture Sheffield but it wasn't there, wasn't in the library either. Any ideas anyone? :)

Have you seen the DVD of the Great Dykes Hall Dam disaster? Its quite stunning, the water even flooded Sheffield city centre. It was made by a local production company whose name to my great shame I have forgotten. Please somebody remind me. :confused:

Have you seen the DVD of the Great Dykes Hall Dam disaster? Its quite stunning, the water even flooded Sheffield city centre. It was made by a local production company whose name to my great shame I have forgotten. Please somebody remind me. :confused:

That sounds quite interesting, was that seperate to the Sheffield Flood or part of it?

Where was number 96? While we are on the subject of Dykes Hall road, can anyone shed any light on ''Dykes Hall'' which was apparently a big mansion type house, stood where dykes hall road is now, with some connection to the family which lived in the house which is now the library in hillsborough park.

• 8 months later...

Dykes Hall stood on the east side of Dykes Lane, not far from the Dial House Club (as was). Until 1911, Dykes Hall was owned by the Leslie family; they moved to Nether Edge and a businessman (pork butcher) bought it and the adjoining land. Dykes Hall was demolished in the 1920s and semi-detached houses were built on the land - these being those on Chiltern Road, Cotswold Road and Leslie Road (the last named after the Leslie family), also Nos. 167 to 171 Dykes Hall Road. The retaining wall near the bus stop at the junction of Dykes Hall Road and Far Lane is part of the original boundary wall of the Dykes Hall estate, and this is all that remains of it. There might be a connection with Hillsborough Hall (now the Hillsborough library) but I don't know of this. Hillsborough Hall was owned by the Dixon family who had a large silversmiths' business. Dixon Road was named after them, and roads such as Dorothy, Lennox and Willis Road named after their children.

Forgot I'd started this thread!

Number 96 was roughly where those new houses on Dykes Hall Gardens are I think, opposite the Castle pub.

There's a picture of Dykes Hall in the Dykes Hall Medical Centre, looked quite grand!

No 96 would have been across from, and just below the Castle. Mrs Coy's chip shop (later Chinese-owned) was at No 100, directly opposite the bottom of Findon Street, so No 96 would have been two doors below this. My great-great-grandfather Samuel Lawson had a grocer's shop across the road at No 95 from 1974 until his death in 1894 - his widow Elizabeth later had a shop at No 124.

No 96 would have been across from, and just below the Castle. Mrs Coy's chip shop (later Chinese-owned) was at No 100, directly opposite the bottom of Findon Street, so No 96 would have been two doors below this. My great-great-grandfather Samuel Lawson had a grocer's shop across the road at No 95 from 1974 until his death in 1894 - his widow Elizabeth later had a shop at No 124.

Thanks for that Wadsleyite! :) I remember my Dad saying something about the chip shop, do you know of any surviving pictures of number 96? I'm really curious to see what it looked like as my Great Great Grandfather lived there and my Great Grandma was born there. Maybe our Great Great Grandparents knew each other!? :)

I'm sorry I don't have any photos of that part of Dykes Hall Road - we lived at No 20 and so I only have pictures of the row of six from 12 to 22 (where the flats are now). If your great-great-grandparents were living there in the 1890s they would certainly have known the Lawsons at the grocers shop. The houses just below the chip shop were small, two-up and two-down, maybe with an attic as well, but (having delivered the post over Christmas 1964) I "think" that they were "cellar kitchen houses" like ours. That is, the land sloped back from the road down to the garden level, so instead of two cellars, the back "cellar" was actually at ground level and was used as a kitchen or utility room. At the front, there was no actual garden, just a forecourt about six feet in width, with a low stone wall next to the pavement. The Local History Library could well have photos of that part of Dykes Hall Road, or at least an early photo of the Catle Inn, with maybe No 96 in the background. By the way Samuel Lawson, still a bachelor at the time of the Sheffield Flood of 1864, lived in Holme Lane, lost all his possessions and was compensated. A neighbour was Henry Whittles, another great-great-grandfather of mine, who saved his family from the flood and his account is in Harrison's book about the disaster.

Archived