Old style chip frier

I thought that the electronic ones used less oil?

How does one use a wok as a chip pan? Surely due to its width and shape it is unsuitable?

Nope its fine . You dpnt need a chip basket because you can use a slotted spoon/ strainer. How do you think they cook in take aways?

Also heats up faster as its thin carbon steel. As the OP said just for two people then you wont be cooking large amounts either and chip baskets require a lot of oil as the basket gets in the way.

How does one use a wok as a chip pan? Surely due to its width and shape it is unsuitable?

Nah, woks are brilliant for chip making, if you are on gas they are even more brilliant, you can get them good and hot, makes great chips.

Angel1.

Both of those suggested by apelike.

Can I suggest that a wok is far more efficient. You use less oil and it heats up faster.

I wouldn't have thought so, considering that, as well as heating the chips, you have to cover the heating element, so thus wasting more oil. Then the element itself is something else to go wrong. - After too many years harsh experience, being a consumer I've come to the point where I feel that what far too much of the kr@pitalist system is about, is selling us stuff we really don't need. Multiply that over by 6 or7 billion times, & it's no wonder our planet is being raped !

I wouldn't have thought so, considering that, as well as heating the chips, you have to cover the heating element, so thus wasting more oil. Then the element itself is something else to go wrong. - After too many years harsh experience, being a consumer I've come to the point where I feel that what far too much of the kr@pitalist system is about, is selling us stuff we really don't need. Multiply that over by 6 or7 billion times, & it's no wonder our planet is being raped !

Presumably you should be quoting someone else as you seem to refer to a deep fat frier and not a wok.

Most stores sell them so try Wilco or TJ Hughes.

Most stores sell them so try Wilco or TJ Hughes.

I'd started off looking @ Argos. because "walking" on the internet is so much easier, & ALL they sell is electrical element type & I didn't fancy trudging around the whole of Sheffield centre. - So thanks for saving me so much effort.

Turning to your comment below about government & big Pharma, I was channel hopping L8 a couple of nights ago & TJ Hartmann on RT was talking to an insider of big pharma, saying that they used to think the problem inUS business was the banks, but now he's beginning to wake up to just how bad big pharma is

. And the insider started mentioning some of the profit margins big pharma make - How about 2 4 9 , 0 0 0 % on PROZAC ! ! Apparently big Pharma is worried about the Democrats winning the elections, so they were telling the share holders, don't worry, we'll cut back for the elections & after that. it'll be back to business as usual !

They also mentioned a name of some guy in big pharma that I didn't catch, who during his trial had been accused by a doctor's report as being a severe psychopath, ETC. The insider said he was only caught because he was too mouthy -& if you think he's bad, most of the rest are FAR worse, but they don't go shooting off their mouths to the outside world !

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 12:26 ----------

Yeh, that's why I discounted it. Also trying to find a wire mesh basket to fill such a wide, flat bowl?

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 12:34 ----------

Nope its fine . You dpnt need a chip basket because you can use a slotted spoon/ strainer. How do you think they cook in take aways?

Hm - what makes you think I can afford to use take aways- even if I do take it away & avoid the dreaded VAT?

However, it doesn't cost much to do a small experiment, so I'll give it a try. :)

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 12:45 ----------

^^^^^^ This :)

If you are anywhere near firth park, there is a large shop up the hill that sell all this kind of stuff. It's run by an Asian family, who naturally have all the different kinds of cookwear that you can imagine. Really friendly people, and surprisingly good value for an independent. Well worth a visit as they sell all kinds of other stuff for the home too. Hope this helps, Bill.

I live in Shiregreen, so that's not too far. & if I'm not happy with the wok experiment, I'll take a look. Are they on Sicey between Firth Pk. roundabout &

the Traffic Lights & the higher cross roads, near the green corner shop & IIRC YWCA charity sho?- or are you over to the right on BellhouseRd?

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 12:46 ----------

^^^^^^ This :)

If you are anywhere near firth park, there is a large shop up the hill that sell all this kind of stuff. It's run by an Asian family, who naturally have all the different kinds of cookwear that you can imagine. Really friendly people, and surprisingly good value for an independent. Well worth a visit as they sell all kinds of other stuff for the home too. Hope this helps, Bill.

I live in Shiregreen, so that's not too far. & if I'm not happy with the wok experiment, I'll take a look. Are they on Sicey between Firth Pk. roundabout &

the Traffic Lights & the higher cross roads, near the green corner shop & IIRC YWCA charity sho?- or are you over to the right on BellhouseRd?

Edited by picard4747

My missus uses the largest of our set of LeCreucet pans for cooking chips in. It's far better than a mucky chip pan. After each use we return the strained oil to a steel thermos flask and that's where it stays until the next time we want chips.

The pan is very easy to wash afterwards, and doesn't get burnt and stained like a chip pan inevitably does. There's no need for a basket because we just fish (see what I did there? :) ) the chips out with a straining spoon.

So my advice would be to just use an ordinary pan, and empty the oil as described.