City Hall Completion

frithy70

Hi,

Does anyone recall the completion of the City Hall?

I have two comemorative little Wedgewood vases in blue with the Sheffield coat of arms on the sides. I am led to believe they were presented to workmen who worked on the building of the City Hall. My grandfather was a Joiner Cabinet Maker at the time and believe he worked on the building for a period.

I have tried the Wedgewood musem, the Sheffield museum and the Sheffield archives but no one has any knowledge of the vases. The vases as I will call them are 50mm wide by 60mm high and 27mm diameter. They are stamped underneath "Wedgewood". :confused::confused::confused:

So are you saying anyone around 90 years old must be senile!!!

I am sure a lot of people would dissagree with you, and as a 70 plus active and mentally agile member of the Forum, so do I.

Not every one has a down on people once they turn 30. :rant::rant::rant:

So are you saying anyone around 90 years old must be senile!!!

I am sure a lot of people would dissagree with you, and as a 70 plus active and mentally agile member of the Forum, so do I.

Not every one has a down on people once they turn 30. :rant::rant::rant:

No I am not saying they must be senile - just that they must be very scarce.

Hi frithy70,

Sorry to see your instant rant (post #3) to Longcol's post #2.

Having just seen the thread, in my opinion his comment as a longtime member of this Forum was a fair warning not to expect many replies bearing in mind the number of computer users in the 80-100 yr age group.

There may be more vases come to light via younger 'Forumers' and the helpful reply from hillsbro typifies the usual support provided in this section of the Forum.

There is a thread on the Sheffield History website which mentions a book "Sheffield City Hall 1932-2012" by Neil Anderson which may (or may not) provide some relevant information, though this probably came up in your research.

Hope your quest succeeds.

Yes, that is similar but mine are plain in comparison. They don't have the flared neck or the handles. If I can figure out how, I will post pictures.
Here's an individual picture - I somehow couldn't manage to post this yesterday! Here is another type with a coat of arms.

If you upload your pictures to an image hosting site such as www.postimage.org, you can then give links.

Edited by hillsbro