Will the internet ever reach saturation point?

Well it occurred to me that the 'internet', which we all know is getting bigger and bigger, probably daily. Will there ever come a point where there's simply an overload of 'mostly' superfluous data?

Things like:

Facebook members information. What about when someone (god forbid) dies? Is that information just left there forever? Even if a loved one closes it down, probably the data is stored somewhere ad-infinitum.

Businesses are encouraged to have a website all the time.

Social media sites FB, twitter, etc) all collect information.

Advertisers produce huge amounts of guff every day and distribute it.

When was the last time someone actually 'used' a copy of the phone directory?

Underdeveloped countries are all getting on the internet bandwagon, and technology is providing the tools to be able to do this, even from the most remote locations.

Will there ever come a point where there's just too much (mostly rubbish) information out there to feasibly and practically store or keep.

No one company stores or keeps that information though.

Facebook accounts for example, facebook maintains servers and massive data centres to store the data and to serve the requests to the site.

If they decide that it's not worth keeping data for deactivated accounts then they can get rid of it at will. (Legally they probably can't keep a lot from a deactivated account anyway, given the data protection act in the UK).

The internet in a sense evolves, as more people are connected the method of storage and connectivity changes to keep pace (you have propberbly head about the change from IPv4 to IPv6). That is an example, it is comparable to the road networks, if they had stayed the same since inception they would have been clogged long ago, it's the ongoing changes people don't know about that sustains the growth.

The internet in a sense evolves, as more people are connected the method of storage and connectivity changes to keep pace (you have propberbly head about the change from IPv4 to IPv6). That is an example, it is comparable to the road networks, if they had stayed the same since inception they would have been clogged long ago, it's the ongoing changes people don't know about that sustains the growth.

Storage has become more dense..I can remember working on 404MB (not Gigabyte) disk drives that were twice the size of washing machines and cost 10's of thousands of pounds..look at the size and cost of disk drives now..

Looking at some of the data centres I work in the answer is no...

No one company stores or keeps that information though.

Facebook accounts for example, facebook maintains servers and massive data centres to store the data and to serve the requests to the site.

If they decide that it's not worth keeping data for deactivated accounts then they can get rid of it at will. (Legally they probably can't keep a lot from a deactivated account anyway, given the data protection act in the UK).

Well...I'm not really looking for a right or wrong answer. I realise some of the data centres are HUGE!...But even then there's a limit? Surely? Given the amount of data generated on a daily basis.

I just wonder if 'for instance' (and I don't know)...How diligent a data centre in Iceland would be concerned about data specifically generated from the UK? In compliance with the data protection laws here...

Well...I'm not really looking for a right or wrong answer. I realise some of the data centres are HUGE!...But even then there's a limit? Surely? Given the amount of data generated on a daily basis.

I just wonder if 'for instance' (and I don't know)...How diligent a data centre in Iceland would be concerned about data specifically generated from the UK? In compliance with the data protection laws here...

Storage isn't a problem these days Pete ..it's cheap and dense..

Why would data specifically from here end up in Iceland? Anyway it'd be up to the company generating the data here to certify that all was well there and that correct procedures/safeguards were in place..

Storage isn't a problem these days Pete ..it's cheap and dense..

Why would data specifically from here end up in Iceland? Anyway it'd be up to the company generating the data here to certify that all was well there and that correct procedures/safeguards were in place..

So are we effectively saying that data storage tech will easily keep pace with data generated?

The Iceland thing occurred to me because I saw a program on TV about it, where they are trying to entice big corporations to open centres there, because they don't have to be cooled in the same way as other countries, for obvious reasons.

If they didn't want to be potentially fined, they'd have to be acting within the law.

Get caught misbehaving and they can be slapped with a huge fine.

I'd be less concerned with any data within the EU though, and more concerned about data that has left it and is hosted in say India or the US.

So are we effectively saying that data storage tech will easily keep pace with data generated?

The Iceland thing occurred to me because I saw a program on TV about it, where they are trying to entice big corporations to open centres there, because they don't have to be cooled in the same way as other countries, for obvious reasons.

There's a 16Tb 2.5 " SSD drive available now.. I can't see storage being an issue..

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/15/samsung-16tb-ssd-is-the-worlds-largest-hard-drive/