Will the internet ever reach saturation point?

Yes, in the background the algorithms are very important and trade secrets.

From the user point of view, it now does suggestions, but other than that, it's still just a white screen with a search bar.

Thats the point google isn't just a screen with a search bar.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 15:19 ----------

https://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/google-update.html

how google has changed over the years

I just had a look.

It's a big white screen with a search bar in the middle and the word google at the top.

The only other thing it displays (because I'm using Chrome) is my recently used tabs.

yes, thats called a landing page. Every web page has one.

I think what herbalharry means is, yes it might look the same, but what's going on behind that white page is vastly different!

The google search screen hasn't changed.

It offers a huge additional array of services now, that are not part of the search function.

I still don't understand what Pete means by "saturation".

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 15:33 ----------

Mmmm I'd say even from a UI perspective it's changed, from a UX perspective radically. ..Google have tried to keep the essence of the original concept which is a search bar.

You said this. And when I point out that it's still identical to how it always was, you then call it a landing page... Make your mind up.

Either it hasn't changed (the search page) or it has... I asserted that it hadn't.

Full to bustin' ?

Okay. What is the thing that he thinks could be full?

The internet isn't a single "thing" with a capacity, so HOW can it be saturated or full?

It's a collection of computers, mostly privately owned that share data in specific ways. These individual computers could run out of storage I suppose, is that what he means? Or more likely, bandwidth could become an issue, is that what he means?

The key point is, that I don't know what he means (And I suspect he doesn't really either).

The google search screen hasn't changed.

its not changed? beg to differ.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 15:38 ----------

You said this. And when I point out that it's still identical to how it always was, you then call it a landing page... Make your mind up.

Either it hasn't changed (the search page) or it has... I asserted that it hadn't.

Its not even identical.

Look at the video from 1998 to 2016 now tell me thats identical.

The landing page has changed! the features and functionality have changed. The search bar bit is the same.

But its irrelevant, because the point is the the landing page is NOT google. Everything behind it is.