Matlock Bath protest ride

And is there a reason why these parking restrictions shouldn't be applied to motorbikes?

Obviously there are 2 sides to every argument. The bikers lobby (and a significant amount of the local businesses) argue that if these charges are introduced, bikers will stop going and that will have a huge impact on the local economy. I will let someone else put the other side across.

Crackers. The bikers bring some much needed revenue to the area all year round. They are a great thing to see, and really part of the fixtures of Matlock. I'm sure there will be a few locals who don't like them, and its all well and good for me to say how great they are, because I don't live there, but the pubs and shops rely on visitors to the area, and if groups are pushed out due to the councils greed or the residents complaints, then the locals will have something real to moan about if businesses can't afford to survive.