Matlock Bath protest ride

Hi Solution, I'm a biker, sports bike and tourers.

This issue goes back a few years and centres around the fact that bikes are there in the summer but not in the winter. This means that November to March there is next to no income for the shops in that period. Hence they have to maximize the income from March to November and also try to attract other clientele. Matlock Bath has become very run down to lack of investment. The changes taking place should be supported by Sheffield bikers with a view to the long term.

Hi treeman. I too am the Proud owner of a Bonneville, which I haven't rode since my hip operation last year. My sons and grandson are all bikers, and as you will know the meets happen ad hoc throughout the year, ice permitting. Much to their mams disapproval, they wander off whenever they get a decent weekend.

The way they are trying to implement the charges is by the hour, and not a fixed fee. That is what has ruffled the feathers, not the charge itself.

Stay safe. Bill.

Let me get this straight. 2000 bikers are going to spend fifty quid apiece to protest at a 50p parking charge.

There's nowt as strange as people.

where do you get the fifty quid bit from? there will be substantially more than 2000 bikes there by the way

where do you get the fifty quid bit from? there will be substantially more than 2000 bikes there by the way

Over 5000 logged as attending so far on the bikermatch website.

Maybe it would be better if the council had a rethink. A two hours Max at a pound a chuck is a good revenue earner, but its gonna pee a lot of riders off. Doesn't seem a lot, but count the numbers.

And the pay and display system is gonna be fun on a windy day!!

Well going on your figures just look at what the local economy is going to lose!

That's the cost of running the bike out to Matlock, not the three quid for a cup of tea and a bag of chips.

I think Matlock Bath will have just as many bikers when they bring in the charge, and it will double the amount most of them spend when they get there.

That's the cost of running the bike out to Matlock, not the three quid for a cup of tea and a bag of chips.

I think Matlock Bath will have just as many bikers when they bring in the charge, and it will double the amount most of them spend when they get there.

Well it costs me about 8 quid to run my bike to Matlock and back, I can't see where you get 50 or a 100 quid from but for me and lots of others like me I never have and have no intention of paying to park my bike anywhere. That is the issue for me. I would go somewhere else where I can park for free. That is the point of not going in the car. If I took my car to Matlock and pay the 50p I am using up a space where 5 bikes could have parked, each one paying 50p so the council gets 5 times the revenue for the same space so the bikers are getting skanked! That is my issue.

Well it costs me about 8 quid to run my bike to Matlock and back, I can't see where you get 50 or a 100 quid from but for me and lots of others like me I never have and have no intention of paying to park my bike anywhere. That is the issue for me. I would go somewhere else where I can park for free. That is the point of not going in the car. If I took my car to Matlock and pay the 50p I am using up a space where 5 bikes could have parked, each one paying 50p so the council gets 5 times the revenue for the same space so the bikers are getting skanked! That is my issue.

Why don't you hold your protest somewhere else? Let businesses and the council feel the impact financially of your collective absence? There has to be other towns in the peaks who would be happy to have your custom...