New Head of Steam for Sheffield (The Old Monk)

Stoatwobbler

I have been in a couple of times now. I like how they have developed the place - even better than the Leeds branch IMHO. Plus the food looks good (and well priced).

The same, however, CANNOT be said of the drink. The first time I went in I tried a couple of the 'Camerons Craft' casks - both fine examples of why the word 'craft' should be controlled. They were awful and £3.50 a pint. So the last time I went in I opted for keg. Had Magic Rock HighWire Grapefruit which is a cracking beer. However, it was eye-wateringly expensive at £6.50 a pint. Considering you can get it just down the road at the Rutland for a quid a pint less I certainly won't be doin that again!

I honestly thought this would end up being a serious alternative to the Dev Cat in terms of it's offering. It isn't. I'll maybe swing by occasionally for half or a bottle of something nice, as I do in Leeds, but it won't be a regular haunt.

Been in good refurbishment not interested in cask ales being a lager drinker. All I can say is it's expensive.

Me too and yes I thought that.

Over 4 quid for a pint of san Miguel ,its a nice place but staying there for a "session" is not gonna be cheap.

You can get a meal and a pint at spoons for that lol!

It's a massive improvement on the previous place. I will be happy to visit again, it's good to have a reasonable pub in this part of town.

I like the design of the bar and the beer bottle light fitting. Not so keen on the seating - the massive tables approach seem daft to me.

Overall a thumbs up.

I've been in a couple of times now, the first time, the head on the beer vanished in seconds, didn't taste to bad though. The second time I walked out after waiting ages trying to get served, the bar area is to big for the amount of people serving. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually.