Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't..

I completely agree.

A lot of the data should be far easier to access in the modern day.

And whilst we're talking about it, surveys should be done by an independent 3rd party (paid for by the vendor) and then made public record.

So if a sale falls through, you haven't wasted £500 - £1000 on a survey that will simply be repeated by someone else in the future (possibly just weeks later).

Legally they have to do it for each house. Even if they did the same search for the neighbouring house last week, they can't just keep it on file and reuse it (which is crazy I know).

When the one I mentioned earlier fell through, our buyer pulled out because of the time it was taking. Their house had been sold and there was no forward chain beyond the house we were buying. Their solicitor said it was ours that was holding things up and they withdrew the offer, so had to put ours back on the market and lost the one we were buying.

Towards the end of the process I tried ringing him numerous times over a few weeks and his secretary said he'd ring us back, of course he didn't. I then reported him to the Law Society, I seem to remember in Leamington Spa, the bloke there said he was out of order and would contact him, to be fair he must have given him a rollicking because the solicitor rang us within minutes of me putting the phone down, he blamed the secretary for not passing the message on, more buck passing. To add insult to injury we then paid him for the privelige I think if it happened again I would consider telling him to 'get stuffed' and let him sue me.

I would advise anyone in the same situation to contact the Law Society, they did in minutes what I couldn't do in weeks.

Both perfectly reasonable arguments. Although I'm not altogether convinced that robotisation in general leads to 'more' jobs...I might need some convincing on that score.

The reasoning is undeniable: There are FAR more people in work now than there were in the 70s (pre-computer era if you like).

The nature and composition of the workforce, as a macro-economic element, changes continuously and that is to do with our progress as a society.

Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't die out, or worse be done by a robot?

I'm actually thinking about the more 'hand-on' type of jobs. If I were leaving school today, and thinking about learning a 'trade' of some sort, then it's a question I would be asking myself.

There's an interesting thing on a beeb website which reckons:

So it's a perfectly valid question, especially if starting out in life today.

Here's the website at the beeb which prompted my thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

Midwife and under taker .

Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't die out, or worse be done by a robot?

I'm actually thinking about the more 'hand-on' type of jobs. If I were leaving school today, and thinking about learning a 'trade' of some sort, then it's a question I would be asking myself.

There's an interesting thing on a beeb website which reckons:

So it's a perfectly valid question, especially if starting out in life today.

Here's the website at the beeb which prompted my thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

Undertaker

Bit of a stretch to define "barista" as a trade though...

Some of those roles I'd have said were vulnerable, accountant for example is a process of following the rules (knowing them first) and data in/data out. Expert systems are very good at doing that type of process.

Car washers is an interesting one. They were replaced by robots a long time ago, but have made a comeback, perhaps because it can be done for the same price, but people perceive the robots (automated car wash) to be less effective than 3 guys with pressure washers and sponges.

---------- Post added 18-02-2016 at 09:02 ----------

Why can't other robots make and mend the tools?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 18-02-2016 at 09:02 ----------

[/color]

This is the 3rd time you've posted this...

Watchmaking is a huge industry and almost entirely automated. Casio don't have a lot of guys in a factory soldering together parts.

They can but they are prone to break down !

Working in an industry that has become more automated and some tasks even have robots I can vouch for that, besides which man has yet to create anything that does not need some human input, be that programming, installation, maintain, repair or replace.

Edited by Michael_W

Tool making machines are not prone to break down at all, they're one of the most widely used and oldest types of machine we have.

I have been a toolmaker and used many machine tools, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tool making machines are not prone to break down at all", my experience is that most machine tools, automated or otherwise do break down and have faults and they certainly need maintaining. Machines that the modern day tool maker uses are just that .... 'machines' with moving mechanical parts and electronic and electrical circuitry, some are computer aided (CNC) some are not. All these machine tools require the use of consumables ie: inserts, cutters, grinding wheels, coolant, hydraulic oil etc.... they will not continuously run without replacing, changing or topping up these things.

Edited by Michael_W

Sorry, I didn't say that they don't ever break down.

Just that they are not prone to it.

Being prone to something means it happens often.

You will always need the people who make and mend the tools that make and mend the machines that make and mend the robots.

Ultimately you will always need someone to give instructions. But there's no reason that machines that do maintenance on other machines can't be created (it's just not economical at the moment).

Michael_W, my OH works as a quality engineer for a manufacturing firm and I'm sure she'd agree with you that most of the tooling machines need considerable human input. I'd suspect at some point this could be automated though, but as things stand the machines require at least 3 operators per unit (they are big machines though so I'm told, clearly not been on site to have a play sadly :( )