Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't..

Supposedly the building trade is pretty profitable at the moment, with a shortage of many of the trades driving up pay.

Yes I agree...There is a shortage of skilled 'building trade' people, and of course that will only get worse as time goes on, because nobody (or at least very few employers) is willing to train anyone these days.

But what about the future?...Just a guess, but in the future I can imagine 'modular' type housing being the 'thing'...Houses you choose 'to go'...Then have plonked where you want them. Ok even they will have to be built by someone or something, and plumbed into the utilities on arrival...But it's just a thought.

Yes I agree...There is a shortage of skilled 'building trade' people, and of course that will only get worse as time goes on, because nobody (or at least very few employers) is willing to train anyone these days.

But what about the future?...Just a guess, but in the future I can imagine 'modular' type housing being the 'thing'...Houses you choose 'to go'...Then have plonked where you want them. Ok even they will have to be built by someone or something, and plumbed into the utilities on arrival...But it's just a thought.

Whilst it's possible to move an entire house, it's really difficult.

So most 'kits' at the moment at least require on site assembly, just due to size.

Whilst it's possible to move an entire house, it's really difficult.

So most 'kits' at the moment at least require on site assembly, just due to size.

Rather large though and not necessarily easily automated.

Yes I agree most 'kits' do require onsite assembly at the moment but who knows in the future? You're thinking of a traditional type homestead.

For instance 'many' years ago, I was in the US travelling across Oklahoma, and came across a company called 'homes to go'...They built a complete house and transported it to wherever you wanted it...in one piece...and that was 15 years or so ago!...They were pretty fancy too...So in view of housing being an 'issue' here I could foresee modular off the production line 'boxes' being built. Ok, I wouldn't fancy one, but who knows what the future holds?

If I had my time again I'd be a chef.

Really?....Why?....Yes I can see it's not really a dying trade, but terribly unsociable and damn hard work!

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 12:04 ----------

Have you seen that "production line" though? I'm no so certain that it's not just a really big pallet where a load of guys build a house in the traditional manner....

Quite probably so...Back then!...or even now!....But as I said, what might the future hold?

Really?....Why?....Yes I can see it's not really a dying trade, but terribly unsociable and damn hard work!

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 12:04 ----------

Quite probably so...Back then!...or even now!....But as I said, what might the future hold?

I already work damn hard with unsociable hours! I don't earn £60k plus which executive chefs earn (and that's average figure from my contacts in the trade). And I think I'd enjoy it in the right environment. Some places I've seen you couldn't pay me enough to eat there let alone work there.