Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't..

I already work damn hard with unsociable hours! I don't earn £60k plus which executive chefs earn (and that's average figure from my contacts in the trade). And I think I'd enjoy it in the right environment. Some places I've seen you couldn't pay me enough to eat there let alone work there.

What's an executive chef? Does it mean the head chef of somewhere, or a chef that serves executives? Or something else?

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 13:36 ----------

Yes I agree most 'kits' do require onsite assembly at the moment but who knows in the future? You're thinking of a traditional type homestead.

For instance 'many' years ago, I was in the US travelling across Oklahoma, and came across a company called 'homes to go'...They built a complete house and transported it to wherever you wanted it...in one piece...and that was 15 years or so ago!...They were pretty fancy too...So in view of housing being an 'issue' here I could foresee modular off the production line 'boxes' being built. Ok, I wouldn't fancy one, but who knows what the future holds?

You know what isn't about to happen in the UK.

Roads are not suddenly going to grow wide enough for full houses to be transported on huge lorries.

They do occasionally move houses in the US. I've never heard of it happening in the UK. (There was a TV series about it wasn't there).

I think "kit" houses will become more popular, they're already popular amongst self builders. But they still need 1st/2nd fixings done on site.

There probably is scope for improvement though for the plumbing, gas, electrics. More modular components, snap to fit, push fit connections, pre drilled frame components for running cables and pipes and so on.

What's an executive chef? Does it mean the head chef of somewhere, or a chef that serves executives? Or something else?

According to Wikipedia, here's the definition of an 'executive chef'

Chef de cuisine, executive chef, chef manager, head chef, and master chef[edit]

Main article: Chef de cuisine

This person is in charge of all activities related to the kitchen, which usually includes menu creation, management of kitchen staff, ordering and purchasing of inventory, and plating design. Chef de cuisine is the traditional French term from which the English word chef is derived.[2] Head chef is often used to designate someone with the same duties as an executive chef, but there is usually someone in charge of a head chef, possibly making the larger executive decisions such as direction of menu, final authority in staff management decisions, and so on.[3] This is often the case for executive chefs with multiple restaurants. Involved in checking the sensory evaluation of dishes after preparation and they well aware of each sensory property of those specific dishes.

You know what isn't about to happen in the UK.

Roads are not suddenly going to grow wide enough for full houses to be transported on huge lorries.

They do occasionally move houses in the US. I've never heard of it happening in the UK. (There was a TV series about it wasn't there).

I think "kit" houses will become more popular, they're already popular amongst self builders. But they still need 1st/2nd fixings done on site.

There probably is scope for improvement though for the plumbing, gas, electrics. More modular components, snap to fit, push fit connections, pre drilled frame components for running cables and pipes and so on.

Hahaha....Yes I know the UK is probably a different kettle of fish, in moving an entire house. Could feasibly be done by air I suppose?...Not altogether cheap, but maybe, I dunno.

'Kit' houses are indeed popular and viable, and presumably will get ever more easier to construct...A bit like flatpack furniture...eventually...

So the upshot of this presumably will be less reliance on skilled 'brickies' and the more traditional 'chippy'...In other words certain skill requirements will decline!

I'd have thought education was an easy one to automate..

Maybe with clever use of electric fences, lasers, motion detectors and security cameras it may work. If my school days were anything to go by the school would still probably burn down in a week.

Maybe with clever use of electric fences, lasers, motion detectors and security cameras it may work. If my school days were anything to go by the school would still probably burn down in a week.

Yep I think a lot of us a certain age can relate to that!

Does education have to be in school?

Have you seen how the parents react when their free at the point of use child care school is shut in term time? If children were educated from home they'd be a revolution!

It may work if children were educated in prisons.

Edited by JFKvsNixon