Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't..

Who said anything about boring?

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 15:42 ----------

To remind you.

There are no real AI's that can write code yet.

There's the 'key' word...'yet'

But maybe in 20 years...or maybe even 10...Who knows what might emerge...

I then tell you that we are speculating based on what we know.

You tell me we aren't??? :confused::suspect::confused:

You then imagine that I've said it's boring and tell me not to bother posting.

I think you're losing the plot to be honest.

To the best of our speculation about the next 20 years there will not be AI writing computer applications. For the reasons explained.

This is speculation. It is not boring.

But we do work in the field and this is our opinion given the state of AI today and what we know about writing computer programs.

Clear?

Who said anything about boring?

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 15:42 ----------

To remind you.

I then tell you that we are speculating based on what we know.

You tell me we aren't??? :confused::suspect::confused:

You then imagine that I've said it's boring and tell me not to bother posting.

I think you're losing the plot to be honest.

To the best of our speculation about the next 20 years there will not be AI writing computer applications. For the reasons explained.

This is speculation. It is not boring.

But we do work in the field and this is our opinion given the state of AI today and what we know about writing computer programs.

Clear?

Woooooo...Very clear....:hihi:

But 'speculation' all the same!....Oh and who are 'we'...

You asked us to speculate!!!

And we was myself and Berberis in the context of the two quotes... Wasn't that clear?

I just get a bored of your sniping...That's definitely 'boring'. But hey-ho...that's your god given job here it seems.

Who's sniping?

You get given an answer to your question, and you immediately try to suggest that it's wrong.

And you're tired of MY sniping.

How on earth can you construe the word 'yet' as sniping?...Words fail me!

Anyway, you seem to have succeeded in your mission to derail another thread and bring it to a grinding halt by pettily arguing with me. It's a familiar pattern!...We've been here lots of times before. :roll:

Actually no. You're not actually speculating on anything really. Only what you 'know' to be around now.
Pete, you can only ever speculate rationally and reasonably on the basis of what is known.

Speculating on the basis of what is not yet known is irrational. And sometimes successfully moneyed by so-called clairvoyants ;)

It would jut be Sci-Fi and, for that, just go read some Asimov, there isn't much about robot sentience that he hasn't (play-)theorised and written about already.

Robots are mere automatons, however complex and agile they may be. They're computers with limbs and, like computers, they can only ever do what they are told to do by humans (ultimately). Look up kinematics and inverse kinematics for an idea of how limb movement is worked out mathematically in a computing context, I do not expect that robotic motion programming is much different.

Artificial Intelligence is not self-aware, not now or for the foreseeable future, whence pairing AI with a robot will still not result in a human facsimile able to perform cognitive tasks, only mechanical tasks. It may well perform these tasks with improved accuracy, efficiency, precision, etc. based on task learning and adaptation, and coordinate them ever better with adjacent robots and/or as a function of (in reaction to-) a changing environment...but it will still only be mechanical tasks.

So speculation without a basic idea of the current playfield and at least some notions of past progress in the field (to appreciate the rate of development and progression of the technologies involved...which for robotics and AI is not geometric, and I'm not sure that it is even arithmetic) is just pointless.

Edited by L00b