Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't..

An economy can't exist without producing things. Shop keeping is necessary to allow trade, but it doesn't in itself add any value into the economy.

Producing things does. Be they intellectual things (ie services) or more directly, physical things which have a greater value after manufacturing than the raw components did.

Question: Is there a 'trade' that you could learn today that won't die out, or worse be done by a robot?

I'm actually thinking about the more 'hand-on' type of jobs. If I were leaving school today, and thinking about learning a 'trade' of some sort, then it's a question I would be asking myself.

There's an interesting thing on a beeb website which reckons:

So it's a perfectly valid question, especially if starting out in life today.

Here's the website at the beeb which prompted my thoughts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

I know it's probably not classed as a trade but what about the legal profession?

Anyone who's ever bought or sold a house knows they move with the speed of a sloth. It's in their interest not to modernise to carry on with the closed shop and justify the fees. We've lost buying a house in the past due to the solicitors incompetence, when the process went on for months.

I know it's probably not classed as a trade but what about the legal profession?

Anyone who's ever bought or sold a house knows they move with the speed of a sloth. It's in their interest not to modernise to carry on with the closed shop and justify the fees. We've lost buying a house in the past due to the solicitors incompetence, when the process went on for months.

I think conveyancing would be massively improved if it was done by a computer! I have never known such a simple task take so long with so many lies in my life.

The 1st article actually paints a balanced picture if you read it to the end, with many people saying that the 1st two (who make the headline) can't prove their assertions and may well be wrong.

The 2nd article is looking at a much longer timescale, which then agrees with the end of the 1st article, that after painful readjustment shocks, society is better off.

I think conveyancing would be massively improved if it was done by a computer! I have never known such a simple task take so long with so many lies in my life.

Yes I think conveyancing is a prime target for being automated. I've heard countless examples of incompetence and heel dragging. After all, it's mainly a paper-shuffling exercise mostly. Someone could probably make a killing.

Most of the conveyancing process is not actually under the control of the solicitor though.

Send off request for information to various bodies. Wait for replies. They can't MAKE them reply any quicker.

Which is not to say that some aren't incompetent. My parents recently sold a house, the purchasers solicitor (based somewhere on the south coast) seemed to be convinced that the house was in fact a flat and kept requesting information that simply didn't exist. They also appeared to lack a basic understanding of some aspects of planning law, asking for proof of planning permission for something that didn't require it! (Not even permitted development, it simply wasn't within the purview of PP).

Most of the conveyancing process is not actually under the control of the solicitor though.

Send off request for information to various bodies. Wait for replies. They can't MAKE them reply any quicker.

Which is not to say that some aren't incompetent. My parents recently sold a house, the purchasers solicitor (based somewhere on the south coast) seemed to be convinced that the house was in fact a flat and kept requesting information that simply didn't exist. They also appeared to lack a basic understanding of some aspects of planning law, asking for proof of planning permission for something that didn't require it! (Not even permitted development, it simply wasn't within the purview of PP).

But the information is available electronically more often that not. I mean how many times does a coal search need to be done...

Legally they have to do it for each house. Even if they did the same search for the neighbouring house last week, they can't just keep it on file and reuse it (which is crazy I know).

I understand from the solicitors point of view, but if any legal situation is crying out for reform it's house buying and selling.