Car Drivers who don't know the Highway Code

:roll:

Take extra care at junctions. You should <-- this means ALL junction users, including pedestrians.

Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.

You DO NOT Have priority crossing a side road if a vehicle is indicating to enter the road.

Rules 159 to 203 are grouped together under the heading "Using the Road". Every one of these rules is clearly aimed at vehicles, (try reading 159 to 203 and see if you can see otherwise) and that includes rule 170, yet you have chosen to interpret "cross" as also applying to pedestrians. It clearly doesn't.

Rules 159 to 203 are grouped together under the heading "Using the Road". Every one of these rules is clearly aimed at vehicles, (try reading 159 to 203 and see if you can see otherwise) and that includes rule 170, yet you have chosen to interpret "cross" as also applying to pedestrians. It clearly doesn't.

Eater Sundae is right about this. And I can't find anything about cars having priority if they indicate. Am I missing something?

You are forgetting the other rule that states you should only cross the road when it is safe to do so. If this car was indicating then you were in the wrong.

You have cherry picked the Rule though. Here it is in its entirety:

Rule 170

Take extra care at junctions. You should

watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind

watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)

watch out for horse riders who may take a different line on the road from that which you would expect

not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure

look all around before emerging. Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.

Since this is the highway code it is instructions for drivers to follow including the piece that you have underlined. Pedestians who have not taken or prepared for a driving test for example under the age of 16 are unlikely to be familiar with the highway code so the owness is on competent drivers. Anyone incapable of looking where they are turning and spotting someone already crossing clearly needs to have more lessons and resit their test. Obviously if someone steps out at the last minute then that is more difficult, however a careful and competent driver should still be aware.

Edited by Joe-b-1

Somewhere in this thread self preservation and common sense should appear, but I've not noticed it yet.

I always look both ways when crossing a one way street. I always double check both ways on pelican or zebra. Why? Not all road users are capable of using them correctly.

I'm in one piece and intend to stay that way.

Since this is the highway code it is instructions for drivers to follow including the piece that you have underlined. Pedestians who have not taken or prepared for a driving test for example under the age of 16 are unlikely to be familiar with the highway code so the owness is on competent drivers. Anyone incapable of looking where they are turning and spotting someone already crossing clearly needs to have more lessons and resit their test. Obviously if someone steps out at the last minute then that is more difficult, however a careful and competent driver should still be aware.

wrong :roll:

Introduction

This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other. This applies to pedestrians as much as to drivers and riders.

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction

Infact the first 35 rules are specifically for pedestrians, so as you seem to have missed this I can only assume you haven't read it.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 22:05 ----------

Somewhere in this thread self preservation and common sense should appear, but I've not noticed it yet.

I always look both ways when crossing a one way street. I always double check both ways on pelican or zebra. Why? Not all road users are capable of using them correctly.

I'm in one piece and intend to stay that way.

Common sense is to do as you say, but some seem to think they have the right to walk out into the road come what may, in direct contradiction to the highway code.

Edited by Berberis

Introduction

This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other. This applies to pedestrians as much as to drivers and riders.

Infact the first 35 rules are specifically for pedestrians, so as you seem to have missed this I can only assume you haven't read it.

Not wrong at all. Irrespective of whether or not some rules are aimed at pedestrians people tend not to read it until they decide they want to drive. Did you read it when you were a young child because if you did then you are quite a remarkable person. Also the rule that you chose to highlight in post 10 is aimed at drivers. Anyway the fact is that the pedestrian (the OP) had right of way in this case in compliance with the highway code.

Perfectly?

Well, perhaps that was a little hyperbole.

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 09:14 ----------

Introduction

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 22:05 ----------

Common sense is to do as you say, but some seem to think they have the right to walk out into the road come what may, in direct contradiction to the highway code.

You make a good point though.

The first 35 rules are specifically for pedestrians.

Rule 170 is in the section specifically for drivers...

Well, perhaps that was a little hyperbole.

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 09:14 ----------

You make a good point though.

The first 35 rules are specifically for pedestrians.

Rule 170 is in the section specifically for drivers...

No it's not. Seriously try reading it first before making such a claim.

Rule 170 is from the section titled "Using the road (159 to 203)". It concerns, all road users, be they car, lorries, buses, cyclists and pedestrians. Rule 35 is from the section titled "Rules for pedestrians (1 to 35)". It's extremely simple to understand.

Edited by Berberis

You know what the tag line for that section doesn't include... "Walking".

Using the road (159 to 203)

The Highway Code rules for using the road, including general rules, overtaking, road junctions, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings and reversing.

In fact, all of those things listed are things you do in (or on) a vehicle, not on foot.

I take it we already had rule 206 posted?

turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

Which was the entire point of this thread wasn't it? A pedestrian that is ALREADY crossing has priority.

Rule 170 even comes with an image

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/559b750840f0b61564000018/the-highway-code-rule-170.jpg

Showing a pedestrian having priority crossing the road.

Edited by Cyclone