Making contact with aliens

China's building a new radio telescope to try to make contact with aliens. I can't help thinking that we're better off not doing.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/16/china-relocates-9000-people-fast-telescope-search-for-aliens

Contact is probably harmless. They'll be much too far away to meet.

China's building a new radio telescope to try to make contact with aliens. I can't help thinking that we're better off not doing.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/16/china-relocates-9000-people-fast-telescope-search-for-aliens

We'll be alright.

The universe is very very very very big, and history is very very very long. So the chances of anyone being in the right place at the right time to be able to pick up the signals are incredibly small.

Then if the chances of them having the technology to be able to travel the vast distances to us also incredibly small.

There is a school of thought that states we have been visited already. Erich Von Daniken is a major proponent of this.

I listened to a talk given by a prominent archaeologist where he was asked about the similarities between ancient structures notably pyramids.

It was noted that the pyramids of Egypt and the very first pyramids of Southern and Central America are similar, also there are examples of pyramid structures in the Canary Isles and East Asia.

The speaker stated that in his opinion, at the end of the last great Ice Age some 5,000 years ago "something happened". He was not specific but clearly felt that the great surge of creativity may well have needed the assistance and intervention of extra terrestrials.

Who knows? One thing is clear, if they do appear it will put all our petty wars and disputes into perspective.

We'll be alright.

The universe is very very very very big, and history is very very very long. So the chances of anyone being in the right place at the right time to be able to pick up the signals are incredibly small.

Then if the chances of them having the technology to be able to travel the vast distances to us also incredibly small.

I agree with all that but it's not the aliens that I'd worry about. I'm just not sure that most people will understand the distance / time issue and there's a real possibility that some of the more deranged might be spurred into action that's not so good for the rest of us.

Although we should remember that if it's taken a thousand years for their version of Noel's House Party to reach us, the aliens have probably improved their technology a bit since. The next signal to reach us might be a party of molecularly disassembled berserker nanobots just waiting for a big Chinese telescope to travel down.

One thing is clear, if they do appear it will put all our petty wars and disputes into perspective.
I beg to differ...and am taking bets on there being a SF thread complaining about undue benefits paid to aliens, dangers of uncontrolled alien immigration, etc. within hours of the first spaceship appearing in the sky :twisted:

There is a school of thought that states we have been visited already. Erich Von Daniken is a major proponent of this.

I listened to a talk given by a prominent archaeologist where he was asked about the similarities between ancient structures notably pyramids.

It was noted that the pyramids of Egypt and the very first pyramids of Southern and Central America are similar, also there are examples of pyramid structures in the Canary Isles and East Asia.

The speaker stated that in his opinion, at the end of the last great Ice Age some 5,000 years ago "something happened". He was not specific but clearly felt that the great surge of creativity may well have needed the assistance and intervention of extra terrestrials.

Who knows? One thing is clear, if they do appear it will put all our petty wars and disputes into perspective.

You'd think that when you consider that most people carry cameras around with them, via their phones, the amount of UFOs caught on cameras would dramatically increased.

My theory is that - if aliens are here, they'd have to be able to travel such vast distances, so their technology is far super to what we can even imagine. I also assume that they want to stay hidden, because they'd land on the White House lawn and declare that they come in peace if they didn't.

So how do they stay hidden with this vastly superior technology? They fly around at night with all their lights on!!!!!!! With all their superior technology, you'd think that they'd managed to invent an off switch for their lights!!

I beg to differ...and am taking bets on there being a SF thread complaining about undue benefits paid to aliens, dangers of uncontrolled alien immigration, etc. within hours of the first spaceship appearing in the sky :twisted:

With great regret I concede you are absolutely right. I only add one thing to your list.

Its Thatchers fault.

You've confused 'detect' with 'make contact' apparently.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 14:46 ----------

I agree with all that but it's not the aliens that I'd worry about. I'm just not sure that most people will understand the distance / time issue and there's a real possibility that some of the more deranged might be spurred into action that's not so good for the rest of us.

Although we should remember that if it's taken a thousand years for their version of Noel's House Party to reach us, the aliens have probably improved their technology a bit since. The next signal to reach us might be a party of molecularly disassembled berserker nanobots just waiting for a big Chinese telescope to travel down.

If it's only taken a thousand years then they're practically in our back yard and should be pretty easy to detect.

Our galaxy alone is a 100,000 light years across.