When would the Mottram Bypass be done?

The route through Pott Shrigley will become very popular I am sure, once the SEMMS scheme is completed. The extension of the A555 to the airport is already underway. Plans have also been approved for a bypass of Poynton with a plan to build an A6 relief road to eventually join the M60.

I remember getting caught up in the impact assessment surveys for the SEMMS a few years ago, so it has taken maybe 3-4 years to go from approval-planning-consultation and build.

There are concrete plans of a Mottram bypass with £170 million allocated for it in the autumn statement last year. But no planning applications yet. This is not the same scheme which got ditched because of the high court battle over the woodland. It is a shorter section just from M67 to Gun Inn and a Glossop spur avoiding the bridge on Wooley Lane.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/pm-gives-assurances-long-awaited-bypass-8356943

I think the plan is for the spur to join the A57 on Wooley Bridge around here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4577598,-1.9861499,3a,75y,228.67h,81.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAK6ATNdfkxDCTuYosLuYYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

And to cross the current A57 here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.460156,-1.9998633,3a,75y,62.73h,66.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9OZiihkrK1IkPkgqTTlrMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It's worrying people that supid are allowed to stand in the way of these large public projects.

Anne Robinson, from Friends of the Peak District, told BBC News:

the motorway scheme - running more than 30 miles underground - would cost a fortune, as well as creating congestion in roads at either end of the tunnel

This is clearly someone who's never been on Snake or Woodhead during rush hour, there couldn't be a more congested road.

The air quality in Glossop, Mottram, Hollingworth and Tintwistle must be diabolical at peak times.

Whats further worrying is the obvious outcome is starting to become clear:

electrifying the Leeds-Manchester route and putting on extra carriages.

Another likely favourite option will be to introduce hard-shoulder running by making all of the M62 a "smart" motorway

So the 'solution' for the problem of poor links between Sheffield and Manchester is to strengthen existing links between Manchester and Leeds :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Are these people insane or just so far up their own arse they can't even comprehend what it is they are suggesting???

Edited by geared

For those interested enough, there is a feasability study on the Sheffield-Manchester routes here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/trans-pennine-routes-feasibility-study-overview

From the summary

Following completion of the study work and consideration of the potential investment options, the Government has committed to take forward an overall investment package of around £3.5 billion for the six feasibility

studies

In order to make progress in addressing the issues, the Government

announced investment worth over £170 million as part of the Road

Investment Strategy in December 2014. This consists of the following:

• Mottram Moor Link Road – a new dual-carriageway link road from

the M67 terminal roundabout to a new junction at A57(T) Mottram

Moor and a new single carriageway link;

• A57(T) to A57 Link Road – a new single carriageway link from the

A57 at Mottram Moor to a new junction on the A57 at Brookfield,

bypassing the existing A628/ A57 and A57 Woolley Lane/Hadfield

road junctions;

• A61 Dualling – on the east side of the Pennines, completion of the

dualling of the A61 between the A616 roundabout and junction 36 of

the M1;

• A628 Climbing Lanes – consideration of the provision of two

eastbound overtaking lanes on the A628 near Woodhead Bridge and

near Salter’s Brook Bridge; and

• Safety and Technology Improvements – safety measures focused

on addressing accident clusters and the provision of traffic light

cameras, speed cameras and message signs to allow drivers to make

informed decisions.

Yes; so get that bypass built!

The Peak District NP would benefit immeasurably from the reduction in pollution.

Best note re Mottram Moor: I'm told that HMG, tired of residents' complaints, did depute a Minister to investigate on site. She was very late for the meeting, however- because of (you guessed it) being delayed by the Mottram Moor traffic bottleneck!

the M62 is the bypass but HVGs will not use the M62 as it longer and costs more in fuel,ban any vehicle over 3tonne from using the woodhead pass,A61 and A628 and the traveling time will be greatly reduced.

I've thought this many times.

The distance is roughly double, but it's all motorway, which during the day isn't that bad.

I do wonder what the difference is in fuel with 60 miles of motorway driving Vs 30 miles of tight bends, gear-jamming and hill climbing.

the M62 is the bypass but HVGs will not use the M62 as it longer and costs more in fuel,ban any vehicle over 3tonne from using the woodhead pass,A61 and A628 and the traveling time will be greatly reduced.

The bottlenecks at Mottram arnt caused just by HGV`s though. taking them off that road wouldnt make hardly any difference.