Expired warranty for new mobile phone.

Because if your version is correct they scammed you for £15 having supposedly repaired the phone under warranty, but invented the water damage fault. unfortunately you signed and paid up. Thats if your version correct.

What are you going to do and whats the point of the thread?

What's the point of this thread? What's the point of any thread were the poster raises an issue to get someone else's perspective? From the outset I stated I may be being unreasonable.. Is that your take on it? If so thank-you for your contribution and giving my thread purpose. :)

what do they get out of voiding a waranty?

If the OPs version is correct then it sounds like just gouging another £15 they arent entitled to. Whats the OP going to do?

They got £15 from the OP which they were not entitled to and avoid paying for any future repairs . The OP should complain to the shop and threaten to report them to trading standards . It may be a small amount , but nobody likes to be scammed and I suspect this is common practice and repair bills are normally much higher . The main issue is the warranty has been voided fraudulently assuming what the OP says is true .

They got £15 from the OP which they were not entitled to and avoid paying for any future repairs . The OP should complain to the shop and threaten to report them to trading standards . It may be a small amount , but nobody likes to be scammed and I suspect this is common practice and repair bills are normally much higher . The main issue is the warranty has been voided fraudulently assuming what the OP says is true .
It is true. I wouldn't be concerned if the initial text read - on visual inspection water damage is the cause, or, a report has been made please contact store, but it read- "the repair is complete". Which is accurate, whereas their findings and the report they made isn't.

What's the point of this thread? What's the point of any thread were the poster raises an issue to get someone else's perspective? From the outset I stated I may be being unreasonable.. Is that your take on it? If so thank-you for your contribution and giving my thread purpose. :)

Ahh it would have been better if you'd put Am I being reasonable, then that would have given it direction.

You may or may not have paid £15 you werent required to, because they claimed for a repair they didnt make. i.e you were scammed.

1. Is it reasonable to be annoyed? yes.

2. You also made it worse because you signed up and validated their action. I'd be annoyed with myself for that.

3. Are you prepared to do something about it?

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 23:13 ----------

I think the main point is the £15 not voiding a warranty because thats incidental to covering up the scam. A general warranty can be taken anywhere on the Samsung network.

Ahh it would have been better if you'd put Am I being reasonable, then that would have given it direction.

You may or may not have paid £15 you werent required to, because they claimed for a repair they didnt make. i.e you were scammed.

2. You also made it worse because you signed up and validated their action. I'd be annoyed with myself for that.

I'm not happy with the warranty status having expired due to alleged water contamination, which they consider excessive. Not sure what I can do. I believe my daughter but don't feel entirely comfortable with the prospect of accusing the store staff of anything underhand. Don't know?

I think the main point is the £15 not voiding a warranty because thats incidental to covering up the scam. A general warranty can be taken anywhere on the Samsung network.

danot has stated he signed a document which expired / voided the warranty . Don't be silly, the warranty is the main issue because it is worth much more than £15 .

I would say that the motive for voiding a warranty is ensuring that any future fixes or replacements are done at the consumers cost

But there are zillions of samsung phones out there. theres no reason they would return to that shop, so it makes no sense really.

I'd go with the cover up of the £15 gouge.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 23:48 ----------

Thinking about ut what they should have done is agreed what would happen if they came across a repair that fell outside warranty or sought permission to carry it out, rather thna go ahead and get authority retrospectively.

Someone at work reported their keyboard had stopped working for no reason. I investigated further and found it was full of water, at which point they admitted spilling their drink in it ! More and more gadgets now come with moisture indicators internally so they can determine what happened when it "just stopped working"

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 23:13 ----------

It's more likely that another Samsung stores will realise the warranty is void when they process the repair info on their system. What's more, the £15 charge only becomes payable if component failure isn't the cause. Otherwise, Samsung pay the engineers.