Expired warranty for new mobile phone.

It's more likely that another Samsung stores will realise the warranty is void when they process the repair info on their system. What's more, the £15 charge only becomes payable if component failure isn't the cause. Otherwise, Samsung pay the engineers.

Ofc they will realise the warranty is void because you have just confirmed it by signing for it.

Ofc the £15 only becomes payable if it falls outside the warranty i.e water damage.

Arent those givens way back in the beginning of the thread?

Edited by 999tigger

Ofc they will realise the warranty is void because you have just confirmed it by singing for it.

Ofc the £15 only becomes payable if it falls outside the warranty i.e water damage.

Arent those givens way back in the beginning of the thread?

You stated it makes no sense to void a warranty since there are zillions of other Samsung stores to return to. You stated this in reply to runningman1 who claimed the motive for warranties being voided is to ensure all future fixes and replacements are done at the consumers cost and indicated in another post that they may have charged me for a repair they didnt do.

Edited by danot

It was in repsonse to Gamstons idea that the principle reason was to void the 12 month warranty, It seems a feeble move to void a warranty so they can get more repair business as you arent bound to return to their shop in future.

Its more likely the boiding of the warranty is to bypass the existing wattanty and cover up the £15 extra. Nothing to do with whether you take it back for the next repair 3 months down the line.

Dont sign things you dont understand.

It was in repsonse to Gamstons idea that the principle reason was to void the 12 month warranty, It seems a feeble move to void a warranty so they can get more repair business as you arent bound to return to their shop in future.

Its more likely the boiding of the warranty is to bypass the existing wattanty and cover up the £15 extra. Nothing to do with whether you take it back for the next repair 3 months down the line.

Dont sign things you dont understand.

Samsung doesn't care which store carries out the repairs and the staff who dealt with me certainly don't as they're getting paid by the hour. As for my understanding of what I signed, I fully understood and accepted that the phone was dead due to water contamination. What more can I tell you?

Samsung doesn't care which store carries out the repairs and the staff who dealt with me certainly don't as they're getting paid by the hour. As for my understanding of what I signed, I fully understood and accepted that the phone was dead due to water contamination. What more can I tell you?

Honestly i do understand the way it works. I was just investigating this idea that they break a warranty so they could create more future work rather than the £15 here and now. It was just a point made by others.

I believe my daughter but don't feel entirely comfortable with the prospect of accusing the store staff of anything underhand. Don't know?

I am not sure daughters are more trustworthy than repair centers, perhaps yours is? But what reason would they have to be dishonest?

If they find a fault with your daughters phone, then its the manufacturer that pays; if they find water damage, then the owner pays, and future warranties would be void.

They dried the phone, and fixed it; there goes your £15

Honestly i do understand the way it works. I was just investigating this idea that they break a warranty so they could create more future work rather than the £15 here and now. It was just a point made by others.

It's not beyond all possibility. They've definitely fixed it, or cured it somehow, it was as dead as disco. I find it peculiar how the engineers findings contradict the initial text they sent and now the the stores dead/warranty expired form isn't an accurate assessment of the phones present condition, but if there is evidence of water contamination inside the phone Samsung just wash their hands of it. It certainly raises an eyebrow that's for sure

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 01:49 ----------

I am not sure daughters are more trustworthy than repair centers, perhaps yours is? But what reason would they have to be dishonest?

If they find a fault with your daughters phone, then its the manufacturer that pays; if they find water damage, then the owner pays, and future warranties would be void.

They dried the phone, and fixed it; there goes your £15

Maybe you're right. My daughter could be responsible. But I doubt it. I know her. Just like I know not every dodgy engineer has to be wearing overalls carrying a oily hand rag. The fact is she's convinced me it's not been in water. Now, whether rain got into it or extremes in temperature or humidity is the cause is anyone's guess, but I'm certain she's not deceiving anyone.

Still struggling to see your point.

1. You had a phone it was dead.

2. You took it in and it was fixed.

1. The fix either was within warranty and they cheated you for £15 by pretending it fell outside the warranty.

2. They told the truth and it was water damage.

You raised an eyebrow. What are you going to do?

But there are zillions of samsung phones out there. theres no reason they would return to that shop, so it makes no sense really.

I'd go with the cover up of the £15 gouge.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 23:48 ----------

Thinking about ut what they should have done is agreed what would happen if they came across a repair that fell outside warranty or sought permission to carry it out, rather thna go ahead and get authority retrospectively.

Your possible mistake is not realising that the warranty is not held with an individual store, but the manufacturer. The store in question is a Samsung store, not a local "mr fix it" phone fixing place.

By voiding a warranty not only do you get to charge for further fixes, but you push the product (ie the phone) further down its life cycle. Making a purchase of a new phone more likely.

Your possible mistake is not realising that the warranty is not held with an individual store, but the manufacturer. The store in question is a Samsung store, not a local "mr fix it" phone fixing place.

By voiding a warranty not only do you get to charge for further fixes, but you push the product (ie the phone) further down its life cycle. Making a purchase of a new phone more likely.

Not at all. I understand that perfectly. My point was about the motivation behind voiding it.

Is it A) because they can then scam £15 or becayse it was genuinelt outside warranty B) a general idea that the more phones out of warranty mans an increased chance of work in the future? C) A general conspiracy to shorten life cycles of products.

Think I will stick with A.