Resurfacing questions..

*_ash_*

For this those of us living at the top of Crookes effectively had no evening bus service for three weeks. To my house from any of the 'nearest' options I had a 20 minute walk. During the course of a couple of these walks (from Broomhill to the Co-op) although the road was closed there was absolutely zero work going on despite the fact that it appeared the job had progressed down the hill to the area around the junction to Lydgate Lane. What a poor show.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it was only to be expected. All of three or four weeks since the road up to Crookes from Walkley was resurfaced, and now there's a set of temporary lights by the garage where Yorkshire Water have dug it up already. You couldn't make it up etc.

I suppose it was only to be expected. All of three or four weeks since the road up to Crookes from Walkley was resurfaced, and now there's a set of temporary lights by the garage where Yorkshire Water have dug it up already. You couldn't make it up etc.

Maybe the Yorkshire water works isn't scheduled?

Got one better than that. We had new road and pavement surfaces laid last year, just heard this morning they are coming round digging them all up to lay fibre optic cables. You couldn't make it up.

WTF!! Really?? Is this outside the petrol station?

It will be interesting to see the quality of the repair after the roadworks because usually it's very poor.

It will be interesting to see the quality of the repair after the roadworks because usually it's very poor.

Just below the petrol station. We had a similar incident on Highton Street with a water main issue just weeks after it had been resurfaced. Fir street still seems to be springing a leak though this not re tarmaced yet and the main outside the Closed Shop is often broken and gushing

Then over on Claremont Cresc one of the buildings has been refurbished and its had a trench dug through to it straight across the brand new tarmac (upgrade to electrical supply by the looks). It was filled in with an inferior grade tarmac by the contractor, not Amey, with the word "temporary" in yellow paint sprayed on it ,which off course has now almost faded away.

You can report poor repair work to the roads IIRC.

Probably means using the councils totally rubbish system, but it's worth it to get it on file.

• 1 month later...

I can't see anything specifically on this so asking a quick question:

Why aren't Amey/Streets Ahead doing anything about fixing manhole covers before they resurface a road?

They've been resurfacing the road from Stockbridge down through to the Middlewood Road Tram stop and yeah great there is a new surface, but they seem to have left every manhole as is, some with some very deep drops.

What's the point in not fixing them? Who's responsibility is to level them off and what damage will this do to the new surface?

PS: I've already emailed Streets Ahead the question, just wondering if anyone else already knows.

Edited by hsb98c
Confirming email to Streets ahead

I can't see anything specifically on this so asking a quick question:

Why aren't Amey/Streets Ahead doing anything about fixing manhole covers before they resurface a road?

They've been resurfacing the road from Stockbridge down through to the Middlewood Road Tram stop and yeah great there is a new surface, but they seem to have left every manhole as is, some with some very deep drops.

What's the point in not fixing them? Who's responsibility is to level them off and what damage will this do to the new surface?

PS: I've already emailed Streets Ahead the question, just wondering if anyone else already knows.

Your answer will probably be that it's not their job to do that.