Resurfacing questions..

*_ash_*

Try being a more observant driver.

I'm very observant, and if you'd been more observant, you would have seen that the very next sentence acknowledged that I accept that I'm more likely to have vehicle damage due to my high mileage in Sheffield.

If you'd read the next bit, you seen that the thread was aimed at why roads/pavements are being repaired when they are never used, when there are plenty of higher priority roads (like ANY ones that are actually used)

If I was Amey, wanting to make a profit, I would - over the 25 year life of the contract - plan to sort out the roads which are likely to get least use and damage first. I'd probably only have to do those once and they'll last 25 years. But the roads that get most use, and most wear, and most damage, I'd probably leave as late as possible in order to ensure the maximum chance the work will last the length of the contract and I'll only have to do them once, or at any rate as least often as possible.

In the real world, there are also other priorities besides that. And given the need to minimise disruption and maintain routes, it is inevitable that some quiet routes will get done before some busy routes.

Why not try it?

Draw a road system on a piece of paper and set yourself some rules. You have five years to resurface everything. You have limited resources. You won't be able to do much over the winter except emergency patching which will take up most of your staff and resource. There will be snow. You need to keep main routes moving, avoid disrupting areas for long periods of time, and so on and so forth. Some roads will need digging up for gas, electric, water etc. Every so often a car or lorry will crash and carve up a surface.

I think we should always question these things, but at the same time we should recognise that the logistics are not straightforward.

I agree with this post as whole Danny. The first paragraph sums up the truth and how things happen (and what I dislike). I'd do the same if I was the manager paid to make this project the most profitable. In fact I wouldn't get the job in the first place if I didn't do this.

Bold: The reason for the thread though is pretty much based on this not being just a 'quiet route'... it was a footpath that never gets used at all. I've driven up loads of roads recently that are just suburban side-streets that have been done recently. Why not do more of these instead? See above what you wrote and I agreed with. It's just a cheap way to get a few workers busy, and have an easy cheap week on the budget, and little more.

This is why the contracting out thing faills. (max said something similar which I agreed with but I've quoted the maximum number people per post). However, I disagree with max in that you support the people who come up with these ideas. PFI and hospitals springs to mind. Ill-thought out initially cheap options that cost more and are worse in the long run.

Some roads that have been resurfaced are already beginning to crumble, Knowle Lane and Archer Lane/ Bannerdale Road for example.

I've not used the first two, but I've not even noticed Bannerdale has been completed :hihi: Must be crumbling then! I perhaps see the crumbles and avoid them as I never take Bannerdale in anyway quickly due to the dangerous positioning of the speed bumps in conjunction with the junctions, and parking close to them too.

It's up to Amey to repair the roads at their own expense.

Which is the worrying thing about these types of contracts.

Edited by *_ash_*
cleaned up some typos

They didn't resurface all of the route, Penistone road for example.

Maybe, but if that tour had to go over any of the important main roads like ecclesall rd it would have been a disaster with record breaking potholes that will even snap a cars tire right in the middle of the road.

Burngreave road is great again thanks to the tour, they would not have resurfaced it if for the locals.

Maybe, but if that tour had to go over any of the important main roads like ecclesall rd it would have been a disaster with record breaking potholes that will even snap a cars tire right in the middle of the road.

Burngreave road is great again thanks to the tour, they would not have resurfaced it if for the locals.

Don't be so daft, have you ever watched le Tour, especially some of the stages on cobbles? Anyway, every road is being resurfaced in Sheffield and Penistone road was pretty bumpy when le Tour visited.

So, I guess that most of the people posting here don't know that Amey have a 25 year contract from the council to maintain and resurface all the roads and pavements in the Sheffield city area.

That's all the roads. So even the little used one mentioned by the OP.

The council aren't dictating to Amey which roads to resurface. There is no councillor of the highway department to blame.

Go ahead and blame Amey for prioritising the wrong roads. Blame the council for not making the contract more clear. Etc... It just makes you look stupid when you've not found out the basic facts before you start blaming people.

Is there no council oversight at all? Just bang amey a load of money and then (no doubt a completely different bunch) of councillors see if it's up to snuff at the end of the contract?