GBP slipping rapidly

That's unavoidable and not a real long term threat to the success of the UK. Besides which as I've already demonstrated, any fluctuations are within historically normal bounds and not large enough to really worry about.

Are you really against the referendum itself rather than a decision one way or the other?

Should we perhaps stop having elections at all to avoid the economic instability they cause?

I am not against the referendum, I am against the way it has been set up and how the undercurrent of the debate about it is completely missing the point of the EU. The reason I started this thread is because I feel a lot of people are sleepwalking into a decision going solely on the migration-rhetoric. A rhetoric started by Cameron and one that won't be going away now that he has started it.

The Pound is slipping rapidly now as a result of the referendum, it is important that people understand the ramifications of their decision.

Perhaps they have a vested interest in saying that. The pound is worth around 25% more euros than it was in 2008. That's not a bad incentive for keeping cash in pounds rather than Euros.

Currencies always fluctuate, but I've seen very little tosuggest that the Euro is making significant and sustained ground against our Pound.

Weren't the bankers the ones who failed to spot the financial meltdown in 2007/2008. I think I'd look elsewhere for sound advice.

Bit of a theory, although not far fetched : the EU has introduced strong measures in the Eurozone to kerb banks and their influence, demanding far more transparency and introducing taxes and so on after the crisis. The UK, as a non-Eurozone member has not introduced these measures, look at the language in Cameron's treaty: More competitiveness, no further integration and most importantly: economic governance. This 'treaty' is a disguised tool to keep banks in the UK and outside the influence of the EU. At the same time it keeps the banks here, it is no coincidence that the HSBC recently announced it is researching alternatives for its headquarters.

it is no coincidence that the HSBC recently announced it is researching alternatives for its headquarters.

HSBC announced at the beginning of last year (April 2015) it would look into leaving the UK (mots probably for Hong Kong)as a sign of its unhappiness with the bank levy. They have made these murmerings before.

There was a unanimous vote to stay in London.

I am not against the referendum, I am against the way it has been set up and how the undercurrent of the debate about it is completely missing the point of the EU. The reason I started this thread is because I feel a lot of people are sleepwalking into a decision going solely on the migration-rhetoric. A rhetoric started by Cameron and one that won't be going away now that he has started it.

The Pound is slipping rapidly now as a result of the referendum, it is important that people understand the ramifications of their decision.

Surely you've been making points about the ramifications of having the referendum, not about the ramifications of one decision or another.

It doesn't tell us anything about what the better decision to come from the referendum would be.

For me it's about sovereignty and democracy. In the EU sovereignty has been lost, and democracy gets perpetually weaker.

Actually the way you set the thread up seemd anti GB and quite gleeful in a perceibed misfortune. You dont help your European cause.

It's a referendum and people can vote how they wish. What they fail to appreciate in Brussels is just how strong the people in the UK feel about immigration, since we are one of the few countries who have increasing net migration. I think the UK has gone froma pro EU country to one which is genuinely undecided whether it wants to be in the EU.

It doesnt mind trade, but I think it rejects the rest. There is a serious and real possibility we will leave. What cameron is negotiating is almost irrelevant and the fact its dragged on just reminds people they would rather be out. Its not even as though the changes are that big.

We are in good hands. Fastest growing economy in the developed world. 33million in work, unemployment down to 5%.

Dont worry, be happy.

Flopping heck, you can't come on here with good news like that. Up to reading your post I was getting quite depressed, thinking that the country was in such a bad way nobody would want to come and join us from Europe, countries like Rumania, Slovakia and Netherlands etc. So thanks for that.

You're going back a long way for that value!

I know, but what gets me is the way that it's always the £ that seems to go down the pan. What happened that the £ dropped astronomically over the years from $4 ? Maybe WW2 , I don't know

In the 1970s we holidayed a lot in France. When we first went in 1971 there were about 16 francs to the £, by the time the Euro was introduced it had gone down to about 10 francs to the £. in spite of France having nice things like a 35 hour working week.

When the Euro was first introduced I seem to remember it was around 2 Euros to the £, so again, down the pan.

I know, but what gets me is the way that it's always the £ that seems to go down the pan. What happened that the £ dropped astronomically over the years from $4 ? Maybe WW2 , I don't know

In the 1970s we holidayed a lot in France. When we first went in 1971 there were about 16 francs to the £, by the time the Euro was introduced it had gone down to about 10 francs to the £. in spite of France having nice things like a 35 hour working week.

When the Euro was first introduced I seem to remember it was around 2 Euros to the £, so again, down the pan.

Its never been at 4 against the Euro.

If it was at $4 then thats most likely before the war. The UK was deepnly indebted and almost bankrupt after the war.

Other countries get more competitive.