GBP slipping rapidly

Like I said I'm not pretending. Why is it sduch a big deal to accept that Cameron's recklessness could affect our economy?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2016/02/economist-explains-11

So just when did this uncertainty set in?

Would that be when Cameron promised a referendum if he won the election when you could get arounfd 1.16 Euros to the pound?

Would it be when the Conservatives won the election and folks knew we would have a referendum on EU membership when you could get around 1.20 Euros to the Pound.

Would it be in November when the exchange rate hit a peak of 1.43 to the pound?

We need answers to these question. The uncertainty is killing us.

---------- Post added 20-02-2016 at 16:25 ----------

The 5 year, 2 year and 1 year trend is up. The current volatility is due to the uncertainty of the UK position. As soon as we have our referendum answer the markets will return to normal.

The current volatility is nothing new. The world has known about the coming referendum since May and was expecting it for 2 years before that. It clearly didn't do the pound any harm because in November the Pound peaked at 1.43 Euros when the entire world was well aware of the situation. It is currently back where it was before that peak in a cycle of normal fluctuations that happen to every country in the world.

If you want to see fluctuations click the link and click ALL at the top of the 15 year chart then you can compare the exchage rates over the last 10 years of Labour Government with the 5 3/4 years since the country got shut of them. Warning.. Some might not like it.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Did it really drop from 1.72 to the Pound to 1.02 between 2000 and 2010?

http://www.pounds2euro.com/Charts

Edited by foxy lady

I'm not getting this. Why are you so determined to argue that the referendum has no effect on the markets?

Can you seriously be arguing this foxy? Really? No impact at all? Or are you arguing that the uncertainty has helped the UK? You can't be can you?

I'm not getting this. Why are you so determined to argue that the referendum has no effect on the markets?

Can you seriously be arguing this foxy? Really? No impact at all? Or are you arguing that the uncertainty has helped the UK? You can't be can you?

It can't come as a galloping shock to anybody that our 2 resident europhiles are on here making the case that there should be no referendum.

Europhiles don't seem to like democracy.

It can't come as a galloping shock to anybody that our 2 resident europhiles are on here making the case that there should be no referendum.

Europhiles don't seem to like democracy.

Its very funny thatthe idea of the referendum was very very popular. So much so that even Labour picked it up a month too late.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32863749

---------- Post added 20-02-2016 at 17:23 ----------

What was it that caused the Pound to slip from 1.72 Euros to 1.02 between 2000 and 2010? Apart from a Labour Government of course. What was it that caused the market to peak again at 1.43 Euros to the pound in November when everyone knew we were heading for the EU referendum? Don't tell me you are stuck for answers.

Edited by foxy lady

What was it that caused the Pound to slip from 1.72 Euros to 1.02 between 2000 and 2010? Apart from a Labour Government of course. What was it that caused the market to peak again at 1.43 Euros to the pound in November when everyone knew we were heading for the EU referendum? Don't tell me you are stuck for answers.

I'm genuinely struggling to understand your thought process on this. Let's be clear before we move on?

1. The referendum will not cause any volatility in markets??

2. You believe the prospect of a referendum strengthened the pound between 2010 & 2015???

I'm genuinely struggling to understand your thought process on this.

You believe the prospect of a referendum strengthened the pound between 2010 & 2015???

I think you probably struggle to understand any thought process. I'd love to hear you explanation of why the Pound rose so quickly against the Euro between May 2015 and November 2015 despite that uncertainty. There has been a slight fluctuation in that rise, which is perfectly normal. I note that the Pound is once more on the up. 25% higher than when Labour were in charge. Mind you between 2000 and 2010 Labour presided over a 70 cent drop in the value of Sterling compared to the Euro. It must have been uncertainty about EU membership that caused that.

Edited by foxy lady

I think you probably struggle to understand any thought process. I'd love to hear you explanation of why the Pound rose so quickly against the Euro between May 2015 and November 2015 despite that uncertainty. There has been a slight fluctuation in that rise, which is perfectly normal. I note that the Pound is once more on the up. 25% higher than when Labour were in charge. Mind you between 2000 and 2010 Labour presided over a 70 cent drop in the value of Sterling compared to the Euro. It must have been uncertainty about EU membership that caused that.

I'll ignore the cheap jibes. In 2015 there were numerous pressures in the Eurozone, not least the issues around Syriza in Greece and threat of Grexit. If your argument about the referendum strengthening the pound held true then why did you choose Nov 2015 as your cut-off date?

The bit in bold is complete and utter nonsense