Should everyone have to wear an identification number?

Would you wear a government ID number  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wear a government ID number

• Yes
    • No

With the amount of CCTV in the country it wouldn't take long for them to be found, police cars are fitted with cameras that see every car they pass and anything dodgy results in the driver being stopped. The police would have to arrest everyone breaking the law just enough to make others think twice about breaking it.

Don't you realise that the rational that your using is in fact an argument against the need for everyone to wear identification numbers? If what you say is true then they'll be plenty of information to identify people without the need for the wearable ID numbers.

But you wouldn't know who they are or where to find them would you? You are no better off than you are now.

The really problem with the idea is that civil disobedience would render the scheme useless. There would be millions of people like me that would simple refuse to take part and that is too many people to police.

:huh:

How about if we make it illegal for shopkeepers to serve anyone not wearing their forehead tattoo?

That way you'd have to take part or die a slow lingering death through lack of food? :twisted:

Seems to me like that would eventually get rid of the non-conformists one way or another... :thumbsup:

It is still exactly the same situation as you have now... the 'number wearing' has achieved nothing.

It would be imposed as successfully as the poll tax was.

It does achieve something.

Bob the thief is arrested for not wearing his number, so he can't break into your house.

If he chooses to wear the number he won't be arrested on the way to your house so will be free to take your stuff, but because he wore his number it will be easier to catch him and get your stuff back.

---------- Post added 21-02-2016 at 13:25 ----------

Don't you realise that the rational that your using is in fact an argument against the need for everyone to wear identification numbers? If what you say is true then they'll be plenty of information to identify people without the need for the wearable ID numbers.

What information would be available to identify someone that has their face hidden from the CCTV?

It does achieve something.

Bob the thief is arrested for not wearing his number, so he can't break into your house.

If he chooses to wear the number he won't be arrested on the way to your house so will be free to take your stuff, but because he wore his number it will be easier to catch him and get your stuff back.

Why not introduce a law that make it a requirement for burglars to leave their name and address at each property they rob... and if they don't we can arrest them!

Sorry, but this is such nonsense.

What information would be available to identify someone that has their face hidden from the CCTV?

With the amount of CCTV in the country it wouldn't take long for them to be found, police cars are fitted with cameras that see every car they pass.

Some interesting comments on this thread. Over the course of my lifetime, the world has completely changed with many values now completely inverted to what I was brought up to believe in and value. In particular the idea of being British and that everyone shared a common interest founded on Christian principles (though not necessarily any active religious belief). This has fundamentally changed such that our streets are now filled with people who share little of my language, heritage or values and may even hate and despise me for simply being alive. Now that may not be a bad thing, but it HAS introduced an element of uncertainty that can only be resolved by an accurate ID process.

For these reasons and others, I think I would now support an ID system even if it goes against many of my long held values. At birth everyone already gets a unique National Insurance number and I think we should use this number for everything, passport, employment, benefits, driving license, NHS and everything else. Of course the security of this is an issue but I think the potential risks, far worse.

Maybe sometime in the future I would also accept a RFID tag implant (as used for pets) that, in combination with a retinal scan and hand print, could be used to verify identities. I used to take my safety and security on the streets of this city for granted, but not any more and this is bound to get worse given the numbers of IS type idiots reaching our shores.

So, very reluctantly and with a heavy heart, yes we do need an ID system. How we then treat people not on the system (such as 'tourists') is a whole new question as is how we use any ID information. The world has changed, dramatically, and we must adapt.

Some interesting comments on this thread. Over the course of my lifetime, the world has completely changed with many values now completely inverted to what I was brought up to believe in and value. In particular the idea of being British and that everyone shared a common interest founded on Christian principles (though not necessarily any active religious belief). This has fundamentally changed such that our streets are now filled with people who share little of my language, heritage or values and may even hate and despise me for simply being alive. Now that may not be a bad thing, but it HAS introduced an element of uncertainty that can only be resolved by an accurate ID process.

For these reasons and others, I think I would now support an ID system even if it goes against many of my long held values. At birth everyone already gets a unique National Insurance number and I think we should use this number for everything, passport, employment, benefits, driving license, NHS and everything else. Of course the security of this is an issue but I think the potential risks, far worse.

Maybe sometime in the future I would also accept a RFID tag implant (as used for pets) that, in combination with a retinal scan and hand print, could be used to verify identities. I used to take my safety and security on the streets of this city for granted, but not any more and this is bound to get worse given the numbers of IS type idiots reaching our shores.

So, very reluctantly and with a heavy heart, yes we do need an ID system. How we then treat people not on the system (such as 'tourists') is a whole new question as is how we use any ID information. The world has changed, dramatically, and we must adapt.

You might be willing to accept that but millions wouldn't and that makes it impossible to implement effectively. And if it isn't effective there is no point doing it and any attempt would be a shameful waste of effort and money.

With the amount of CCTV in the country it wouldn't take long for them to be found, police cars are fitted with cameras that see every car they pass.

Only if they have a visible number or face.

---------- Post added 21-02-2016 at 13:55 ----------

Why not introduce a law that make it a requirement for burglars to leave their name and address at each property they rob... and if they don't we can arrest them!

Sorry, but this is such nonsense.

Yes that idea is nonsense so wouldn't work.

---------- Post added 21-02-2016 at 13:58 ----------

You might be willing to accept that but millions wouldn't and that makes it impossible to implement effectively. And if it isn't effective there is no point doing it and any attempt would be a shameful waste of effort and money.

Millions of people ignore the UK speeding laws, the police can't hope to catch everyone so should we abandon that law and allow everyone drive at any speed?

People already have a number, and are identified by multiple identifications systems without their knowledge, information is collected and can be accessed by people with security clearance.

Most people carry technology which identifies their location, can record all speech, and film you without your knowledge as well as myriad other things. Technology produced by companies which also make robots capable of killing humans based upon their own 'will' if you like, and can identify individual humans in mutliple ways. They can for example identify a person many miles away by visual characteristics without their knowledge. They can be programmed to kill certain individuals and are able to do this from many miles away, automatically. They are currently being used to man certain borders as sentries, and although they require human authorisation to kill by international law and currently when used to kill, humans must make the decision at this moment in time, they are more than capable of doing this without human authorisation, and laws can and will be broken. Ironically these robots are called LAWS.