Shopping in town

Shopping in Sheffield  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Shopping in Sheffield

• I want to go shopping in the city centre
    • I don't want to go shopping in town

Look at IKEA. OK, so Sheffield is finally getting one, but has the fact its not had one stopped Sheffield people from travelling to the other stores?

Isn't Ikea (and Next Home) a fine example of the council standing in the way of development leading the absolutely nothing happening for close to a decade?

How many other times have they turned things down because it doesn't fit their stupid idea of how things should be??

I like Sheffield centre but it's useless for general shopping except for people who live near the centre anyway. If I go shopping there I have to make a day of it, this is because the traffic is so bad getting in and out of Sheffield and the cost of parking - plus also the one way system and bus routes not allowing cars just adds to the jams.

So I end up going to Meadowhall or Chesterfield instead, both easier to get to without the big traffic jams Sheffield gets and both cheaper to park.

I used to work in the centre of Sheffield years ago and at least then if there was an accident or breakdown blocking roads, you could use the side roads to get round it and traffic did keep flowing. Then the council gradually blocked them all off one by one, so now if a bus breaks down or something that's it - traffic has to sit and wait until it's cleared. Such a daft system to have in such a large city...

Public transport is useless too, not only does it take hours and a couple of buses from Dronfield to get there - but even when I lived in Norton you could never count on buses arriving on time or sometimes at all.

South Yorkshire Journey planner says that from Dronfield you can get the train to Sheffield city centre in 12 minutes... Awful public transport that is.

It's not happy with the idea of using the bus though, probably because cross county services are so bad and Dronfield is in Derbyshire.

South Yorkshire Journey planner says that from Dronfield you can get the train to Sheffield city centre in 12 minutes... Awful public transport that is.

It's not happy with the idea of using the bus though, probably because cross county services are so bad and Dronfield is in Derbyshire.

Yeah the train service is a lot better in itself, and then I can walk up that huge hill to Sheffield centre (which I don't mind doing for a day trip) and struggle back down again with my bags of shopping... Not something I'd do if I want to pop to the shops when other places are much more convenient.

As for the bus services, I know it's across the border but hardly much further for First to do a service instead of ending at Meadowhead. And it would get more people into the city centre, hardly a bad thing.

Not within the purview of a single city or county council though to try to get bus services put on my a private company to cross county borders though.

Basically I'm saying that we can't blame SCC for a poor bus service from Derbyshire.

They run buses regular between Sheffield and Castleton.

I shop online as will most people in the future. Sorry as I am to see empty shops in town, I don't enjoy shopping enough to support them. I go to the City centre for the cinema, theatre, restaurants and the very occasional pub. If we must have this silly new train I would prefer to see it in the City centre than in the middle of nowhere that is Meadowhall.

Edited by Hogg
typo

My business rates are much higher than your council tax and I pay a relative's council tax too. By your own standards I have a much bigger say than you.

Not sure how you work that out. Do SCC send out public consultation documents to Bakewellians?

Edited by Hesther