Sports direct being sports direct again

The people from Shiregreen who are unemployed don't want to work for Sportsdirect, they get more in benefits by staying at home. Easiest solution to that problem, as well as the benefits for migrants debacle is by cutting benefits for the unemployed and raising the minimum income for those in work.

Shirebrook Tim, keep up;););)

Is it as simple as that though? Just cut benifits? I'll wager sports direct got a tax or government kickback somewhere by opening there - creating jobs will be one of the criteria. Should the criteria be jobs for local people?

It's a good solution but it isn't required whilst we have the free movement of people, and upping the minimum income for those in work will just encourage more people into the UK.

Have you ever wondered why people from Poland are prepared to move 3000 kilometres to get a lowly job and people from Shirebrook (or wherever) don't want to move 20 miles to get a lowly job? That is what the key problem is. If the people in Shirebrook had no option but to move so they could work and contribute rather than sit at home and claim benefits, there is no need for Poles in low paid jobs. Free movement of people isn't the issue here, people in work contribute, period.

Shirebrook Tim, keep up;););)

Is it as simple as that though? Just cut benifits? I'll wager sports direct got a tax or government kickback somewhere by opening there - creating jobs will be one of the criteria. Should the criteria be jobs for local people?

There is a deeper issue here, these companies open up in areas where there are people who could do the work, it is usually part of the list of criteria for selecting a site, but if those who could do the work then don't bother because they get more by staying at home than that is an issue. You can't then undo the massive investment and try somewhere else.

I am not defending Sportsdirect by the way, I don't know enough about this situation, but this general problem exists. Have a look at a place like Goldthorpe, a friend of mine has lived there for years and works in Sheffield, in his street there are some 20 houses, we got to talk about it because he is thinking of moving here, despite being a Dearne Valley bloke. But 14 of those houses have people with no qualifications and no desire to work in them ("If only't mine were still open!") in the meantime there are plenty of vacancies at less then half an hours commute.

Have you ever wondered why people from Poland are prepared to move 3000 kilometres to get a lowly job and people from Shirebrook (or wherever) don't want to move 20 miles to get a lowly job? That is what the key problem is. If the people in Shirebrook had no option but to move so they could work and contribute rather than sit at home and claim benefits, there is no need for Poles in low paid jobs. Free movement of people isn't the issue here, people in work contribute, period.

I agree that cutting benefits would force more British people to look for work, that wouldn't change the fact that free movement of people across the EU means more competition for each job and more choice for employers, which means the pay and contract terms don't have to be that impressive. Plenty of people in work contribute nothing at all, they take out far more than they put in.

There is a deeper issue here, these companies open up in areas where there are people who could do the work, it is usually part of the list of criteria for selecting a site, but if those who could do the work then don't bother because they get more by staying at home than that is an issue. You can't then undo the massive investment and try somewhere else.

I am not defending Sportsdirect by the way, I don't know enough about this situation, but this general problem exists. Have a look at a place like Goldthorpe, a friend of mine has lived there for years and works in Sheffield, in his street there are some 20 houses, we got to talk about it because he is thinking of moving here, despite being a Dearne Valley bloke. But 14 of those houses have people with no qualifications and no desire to work in them ("If only't mine were still open!") in the meantime there are plenty of vacancies at less then half an hours commute.

Shirebrook resembles Goldthorpe in a big way, in fact if memory serves the huge sports direct warehouse is built on old pit land. Is it purely a case of benefits paying more than wages? Sports direct have got in ahead of time paying a living wage.

So if the EU didn't exist, then sports direct would be able to ship in employees from other countries?

It would, immigration isn't going to drop if the UK leaves the EU, in relative terms immigration to Norway, Switzerland and many other nations that aren't in the EU is higher than it is in the UK, that isn't going to change.

The people from Shiregreen who are unemployed don't want to work for Sportsdirect, they get more in benefits by staying at home. Easiest solution to that problem, as well as the benefits for migrants debacle is by cutting benefits for the unemployed and raising the minimum income for those in work.

I agree tz.......

---------- Post added 21-02-2016 at 17:29 ----------

Of course it could. It's not like we've not brought in people from across the globe to do crap jobs - we have since the year dot.

So why hasn't the local job centre sanctioned the benefits of locals who refuse a job?

It would, immigration isn't going to drop if the UK leaves the EU, in relative terms immigration to Norway, Switzerland and many other nations that aren't in the EU is higher than it is in the UK, that isn't going to change.

But it would be under the control UK government, I agree that the government might not drop to the levels that I would like, but at least I get to vote every five years for a party that will drop it if elected.