What's your favourite local restaurant and why?

LifeOfStyle

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone had been to Chez La Lou recently I was thinking of taking my girlfriend. I typed it into google and found some great reports and some quite bad reviews. So just wondered if someone has been recently what they thought.

Thanks

Last time I went I was disappointed. My scallops were overcooked and seemed poor in quality and I generally thought the food was not that great. That was a year or so ago though.

Previously I had been quite a few times and had always enjoyed it.

I imagine someone will be able to give you a recent experience that should be more up to date. Places sometimes slip but then buck their ideas up when they realise.

The Pasta Bar on Sharrowvale Road is exceptionally good. Always top ingredients cooked beautifully. And I don't think I've ever had puddings as good as their Tirimasu or Affagato (or whatever it's called: an espresso with a shot of brandy and a ball of homemade ice-cream floating in it + a shortbread biscuit on the side. Delicious!)

the best tapas in sheffield is cubana, not tryed la mancha is it any good?

La Mancha: I went last summer but it was too hot in there and it spoilt the experience, they would be better investing in some air con if they haven't already done that. The food was good, nothing to shout about but nice.

The Milestone on Green Lane at Kelham Island. You can't beat the service and attention to detail. The menu changes regularly and the special early diner menu, (2 courses and a glass of wine for £12) is brilliant value for money.

• 3 months later...

Antibo's just off West Street is my favourite their food is done to perfection though you have to wait a bit because everything is cooked from fresh which we didn't mind and a very relaxed atmosphere with very friendly staff.

i like The Strines Inn out in Derbyshire just past Bradfield. In summer u can sit out side with a drink and look at the amazing views and get a tan whilst eating some of the gorgeous traditional pub food (all local produce- so im told by my friend he's the head chef there) and in winter its so cosy and christmassy to sit inside and the roast dinners are the BEST ive ever had and u get loads!! 100% my fave place to eat in the area.

Do you know if they have a website?:thumbsup:

Ethio-Cubano, Arundel Gate

AN UNDISCOVERED GEM

Amazing ethiopian food

Forget the Cuban, the only surviving Cuban part of the menu is fajitas

GO FOR THE ETHIOPIAN FOOD IT IS INCREDIBLE

The place is generally frequented by ethiopian people so you know its authentic

The manager is an absolutely amazing guy

The food is incredible and very social and fun like tapas

For anyone that doesnt know, you dont use cutlery you use enjera, which is like a savory pancake. You tear pieces off of to pick up the various chicken, lamb or beef dishes with your hands. Vegetarians catered for too.

I dont live in Sheffield any more but when I visit I make sure I fit in a trip there because I have since been to a couple of ethiopian places in London and they are no where near as good

IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN THEN GET THERE SOON

Archived