PARENTS parking cars near schools, it needs stopping

Not always possible. We live four miles from school, and when we get there, I park in the (numerous) parking bays designated for parking. I've no intention of walking my four year old four miles to school every morning.

Given you can't tell who has come a walkable distance (and what's walkable for one parent might not be for another), it's impossible to either judge or enforce.

I agree and you have pointed out that you park in designated parking spots which is acceptable. What is NOT acceptable is parking immediately outside the gate, on double yellows, blocking the pavement and double parking. All too common at the school near me

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 14:14 ----------

Absolutely agree with that. There's no reason to park illegally at all.

Problem with the police idea is that it's entirely disproportionate sadly. They'd make perhaps a couple of hundred quid in fines, but would spend that officer's time, take the car out of action etc for a couple of hours and it's just not worth it (particularly with police cuts).

They would only need to do it a few times and soon the message will get through for a few months. Admittedly, the ones round me are so think it would have to be repeated every three months :(

I agree and you have pointed out that you park in designated parking spots which is acceptable. What is NOT acceptable is parking immediately outside the gate, on double yellows, blocking the pavement and double parking. All too common at the school near me

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 14:14 ----------

They would only need to do it a few times and soon the message will get through for a few months. Admittedly, the ones round me are so think it would have to be repeated every three months :(

We never really see that to be honest at school, but then again, the parking wardens are ridiculously keen near our school. I made a mistake and parked in a resident only bay (I parked so I couldn't see the sign, thought it was pay and display as the other side of the road is, bought a ticket from the other side of the road, but still got a ticket) and still received a fine, on the first day of school. Annoying, but there we go.

I don't know if there's a reason, but the wardens literally love ticketing outside my daughter's school. Got to say it works, as people generally park where they should.

I'm "lucky" enough to live close to both a primary and a junior school....

Parents are always parking their cars down the side street where I live.

Last week, on a really frosty morning, one of them decided to park directly opposite my driveway in her 4x4, get the buggy out of the boot and then opened the doors to let her 3 children out onto the road instead of on the pavement!!! Totally stupid, IMO...

When the one side of the road gets full, they then proceed to park on the other side on the pavement, leaving just enough room on the road for one lane of traffic to squeeze by...

Roll on, half term and school holidays!!!

Absolutely agree with that. There's no reason to park illegally at all.

Problem with the police idea is that it's entirely disproportionate sadly. They'd make perhaps a couple of hundred quid in fines, but would spend that officer's time, take the car out of action etc for a couple of hours and it's just not worth it (particularly with police cuts).

If it alters the current behaviour of the few bad drivers it will have served its purpose.

I've said this before on a similar thread. Camera on a pole, focussed on the zig zags or double yellow lines. (No car or presence of personnel required).

Parent parks illegally.

Fine arrives in post a few days later with photographic evidence.

Rinse and repeat until they stop.

No confrontation, no requirement to tie up police officers. As for cost? Well, the chances are it will pay for itself very quickly. Even if every school doesn't have one, there could be a small number of portable ones, switched between sites regularly, so parents don't know where they are.

I've said this before on a similar thread. Camera on a pole, focussed on the zig zags or double yellow lines. (No car or presence of personnel required).

Parent parks illegally.

No confrontation, no requirement to tie up police officers. As for cost? Well, the chances are it will pay for itself very quickly. Even if every school doesn't have one, there could be a small number of portable ones, switched between sites regularly, so parents don't know where they are.

I agree with that idea and it makes a great deal of sense.

What would also be useful is sticking a sodding great neon coloured sign on the car with written on it "fined for being an arrogant lazy tosser". You never know, it might work :)

Parent parks illegally.

My guess is that camera enforcement is not a legal way to do it. And I wonder if in SCC's case, they have even applied for the traffic regulation orders to enforce the zig zags anyway.