Strange Pub Names

I'm going to build a time machine for you so can find out for us. Didn't the Hole in the Wall on Savile Street have a nickname something to do with vinager works. Another thing about the HITW pub when you look at photos of the building the left part doesn't match the right part , was the left part originally part of the old vinager works ( gateway) it always looked at strange building?

'Hole in the Wall' was it's nickname, the proper name being 'The Wicker Brewery', (Tetley's) .No beer was brewed there, but as you say, was part of and old vinegar distillery.

Tea Gardens pub is a unusual name any connection to the Boston tea party I can't really see tea leaves been grow at Sheffield?

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 18:25 ----------

The "round house", at the bottom of Heeley Green'?

I believe that is the nickname of the Victoria due to part of the facade been rounded at the front.

Tea Gardens pub is a unusual name any connection to the Boston tea party I can't really see tea leaves been grow at Sheffield?

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 18:25 ----------

I believe that is the nickname of the Victoria due to part of the facade been rounded at the front.

Tea gardens was originally the Saracens head.

That's interesting , Saracens Head has connections to Turkish soldiers so at some point in the pubs life it was renamed Tea Gardens I wonder why ?

Can't help there,but i'm still in touch with the old landlady see if she knows.know years back it was a coaching inn that could be it.

Can't help there,but i'm still in touch with the old landlady see if she knows.know years back it was a coaching inn that could be it.

The 'Tea Gardens' was on Grimesthorpe Road in the Burngreave/Ellesmere area of Pitsmoor and adjacent to the pub was a small cul-de-sac, Tea Garden Terrace that was there up to the late '60s. As for far away place connections Turkey and Boston (I presume Massachusetts U.S.A.) I fail to see the connection. However, I can understand that the place may have been a coach inn as Grimesthorpe Road (Gower Street to Upwell Lane) and Carlisle Street East (Sutherland Road to Upwell Street) were the longest in that area.

Edited by stpetre
Add