Is our Country's system fair to all.

Good schools turn out clever people who get good jobs. It's neither corrupt nor oppressive.

There is a topic somewhere with people whining about teachers trying to do their job instead of letting their kids go to school in blue hair and flashing trainers.

I wholeheartedly agree. The best teachers will be attracted by the best pay and conditions which will be in the private sector.

Some think private schools are evil and wrong and should be banned, but thats like Relay team with one star sprinter and 3 below average runners, breaking the legs of their star sprinter to equal up the race. We need to raise up those on the bottom, not put obstacles in the way of those at the top.

Paramount in all of this is, in my opinion, is to make education as wanted by all UK children as it is in some 3rd world countries.

A school friend of mine used to work for a top law firm in London, before he moved to New York. He got there on merit, full marks in his 12+, 1st from Oxford. He complained no end about the hooray Henrys who were there because their dad was friends with the boss, they knew what internships to do, they found out about unadvertised jobs. Most of them were pretty useless apparently.

I also know someone who got in to a redbrick uni with C,C,D a-levels because their private school teacher knew the admissions tutor. It's much more about who you know than what you know.

Actually, I think in practice measures to increase 'fairness' in recruitment have backfired because now it's even more about getting the inside information about how and what to demonstrate as the right thinks on your CV than your underlying ability or content of your character, so to speak.

.... and no it's not fair. .
Life aint fair - you work hard, then get old and die. Some get torturous illnesses on their way to death

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 08:26 ----------

I had a tough start, turned out fine. Stop whining and make a fecking effort.
yep, just gerron wi it, look at what you have, not what you don't have

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 08:29 ----------

Paramount in all of this is, in my opinion, is to make education as wanted by all UK children as it is in some 3rd world countries.

agreed, but it will never happen here.

If you're disengaged at school, you will still eat and still enjoy your iphone via the benefits system

In the third world, if you don't make something of yourself, you are forever a starving beggar

thats life!! its harsh sometimes try harder instead of whining and get over it its a jungle out there survival of the fittest!

Also survival of the most privileged and well connected, it's not just about 'fitness'.

Those born with silver spoons up their bums are playing life on the easy setting.

I wholeheartedly agree. The best teachers will be attracted by the best pay and conditions which will be in the private sector.

Some think private schools are evil and wrong and should be banned, but thats like Relay team with one star sprinter and 3 below average runners, breaking the legs of their star sprinter to equal up the race. We need to raise up those on the bottom, not put obstacles in the way of those at the top.

The reality is that the private school's results are due to the schools smaller classes the parents commitment to their child's education rather than superior teachers.

It's interesting that you don't have to hold any teaching qualifications to teach at a private school.

A school friend of mine used to work for a top law firm in London, before he moved to New York. He got there on merit, full marks in his 12+, 1st from Oxford. He complained no end about the hooray Henrys who were there because their dad was friends with the boss, they knew what internships to do, they found out about unadvertised jobs. Most of them were pretty useless apparently.

I also know someone who got in to a redbrick uni with C,C,D a-levels because their private school teacher knew the admissions tutor. It's much more about who you know than what you know.

Actually, I think in practice measures to increase 'fairness' in recruitment have backfired because now it's even more about getting the inside information about how and what to demonstrate as the right thinks on your CV than your underlying ability or content of your character, so to speak.

I don't understand? Why would a company, trying to make a profit by employing the most effective employees, want to employ someone lees good? They sould be found out and sacked pretty quickly.

I'm sure there are a very few instances of someone on the payroll who does merit it, but it is sometimes because they have business connections or other qualities which the company find advantageous?