Fast driving on public roads

What is the fastest that you driven on the road?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is the fastest that you driven on the road?

• 70 mph
    • 80 mph
    • 90 mph
    • 100 mph
    • 110 mph
    • 120 mph
    • 130 mph
    • 140 mph
    • 150 mph
    • 160 mph
    • 170 mph
    • 180 mph
    • 190 mph+

The BBC are saying today that over 4000 people were caught driving at more than 100 mph on public roads.

I don't think that is that especially fast these days, but I'm not sure how many people can drive quickly safely either.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 08:31 ----------

I forgot to add a poll. I will try to do it again. Sorry.

The BBC are saying today that over 4000 people were caught driving at more than 100 mph on public roads.

I don't think that is that especially fast these days, but I'm not sure how many people can drive quickly safely either.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 08:31 ----------

I forgot to add a poll. I will try to do it again. Sorry.

Have you seen the result of a 100mph impact?

yeh that's the problem

But I reckon (as a layman, so don't request proof/evidence and all that gubbins) that 100mph in a modern rep mobile with all the safety features is safer than 70mph in a 1970s Cortina

On another matter that's 4000 people who are all licenced with registered vehicles. That in itself counters the argument that licencing cyclists and registering bikes will improve things, but that's another thread

How would that happen? I don't recall seeing many suddenly appearing brick walls on a motorway. So if you are driving at 100mph you'd have braked before the impact so your point is, well pointless. In fact if the other cars were doing 70mph then your differential speed which is the only thing that really matters is actually 30mph.

Now, on a country road where both cars can be doing 60mph on opposite directions, you have the potential for a 120mph impact...I know which I'd focus on first.

I'll add that I don't do 100mph anywhere (except a track ;)) as I value my license over a few extra mph...but that's the only reason. If speed limits were removed on motorways then I would indeed do over a 100 if it was clear and safe to do so.

What's the stopping distance at 100mph? Are your tyres rated to handle that speed?

I've no gripes with increasing the speed, providing the car and driver are up to the task.

Perhaps that's why the police have to take special lessons and tests to drive at that speed, and I trust their vehicles are maintained impeccably too.

On another matter that's 4000 people who are all licenced with registered vehicles. That in itself counters the argument that licencing cyclists and registering bikes will improve things, but that's another thread

Isn't the point that those 4000 folk had a licence and probably had it taken off them for their behaviour. You can't take a licence off someone who doesn't have one.