If God created the Big Bang, what created God?

There is substantial evidence that the total energy of the universe is zero.

That being the case, the most likely cause of cosmogenesis is from a large spontaneous fluctuation in vacuum energy.

:huh:

My old hoover suffered from a large spontaneous fluctuation in vacuum energy...

... but I fixed it by changing the bag! :thumbsup:

It's a really depressing thought that given the timescales involved that it could be possible that if the universe continues to expand, if any life still exists it will all die in the big freeze, then eventually all matter will decay until all that's left is a big empty space of nothing.

Wonder if we'll have left the EU by then. :lol:

My own theory is along the lines that when matter and anti-matter combine, they cancel each other out, creating nothing. The 'Big Bang' is the opposite, being that starting with 'nothing', the two types of matter decided to split apart, creating matter and anti matter in a reverse process of the above. My theory, but it suits me.

Why is there an imbalance in the quantities of both in the observable universe?

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 14:09 ----------

No it won't.

This was open to question 20 years ago, but it's since been measured.

In fact the expansion of the universe will continue at an ever increasing rate.

I thought heat death/big crunch was still unsettled.

:huh:

My old hoover suffered from a large spontaneous fluctuation in vacuum energy...

... but I fixed it by changing the bag! :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, and in some ways maybe it is evidence for the existence of parallel universes, because my old bag suffered from a large spontaneous fluctuation in vacuum energy but I cured it by changing the Hoover.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 14:09 ----------

Maybe (again) just maybe... antimatter makes up the huge amount of missing or so-called 'dark' matter that calculations suggest is there, but we can't see. It would probably have to exist in huge clouds of itself without coming into contact with regular matter or they would annihilate each other.

I'm sticking with the 'maybe' because, as you rightly state, the questions remain unresolved. And are therefore just theories. Unbeliever is totally wrong with his 'absolute' claim that the universe will continue expanding forever as most scientists will tell you they have no idea if that is really the case.

Nope. Settled. Type 1a supernova observations. The rate of expansion of the universe increases with time. Hence no big crunch.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 14:20 ----------

This is not settled. Still working on that question.

Maybe (again) just maybe... antimatter makes up the huge amount of missing or so-called 'dark' matter that calculations suggest is there, but we can't see. It would probably have to exist in huge clouds of itself without coming into contact with regular matter or they would annihilate each other.

I'm sticking with the 'maybe' because, as you rightly state, the questions remain unresolved. And are therefore just theories. Unbeliever is totally wrong with his 'absolute' claim that the universe will continue expanding forever as most scientists will tell you they have no idea if that is really the case.

If space is curved (A torus?) if the universe continued expanding, wouldn't that mean it would reach a point where everything was actually coming together again towards a big crunch.

Imagine if you lived on a perfectly smooth Earth like a giant snooker ball and you shot a bullet from a gun it travelled round the Earth in a perfect great circle six feet above the ground, it would eventually hit you in the back of the head even though you thought it was always travelling away from you in a straight line (Or something like that). :loopy:

Edited by Brian Equato

Unbeliever is totally wrong with his 'absolute' claim that the universe will continue expanding forever as most scientists will tell you they have no idea if that is really the case.

This is a fairly recent discovery, so I'll let you off. A bit of reading will confirm that what I said is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_expansion_of_the_universe

I can provide links to the actual papers if you like.