How much are you paying for travel insurance?

I have it on first hand experience that when I was last in Bulgaria and needed medical assistance, when I handed my card to the doctor he laughed and said, no, I want your insurance papers.

Exactly what I said....they want to run your bill up. Hopefully I will never find out first hand. I would not give insurance docs unless in emergency.

iansheff - I've already mentioned I'm not going on a package deal.

Exactly what I said....they want to run your bill up. Hopefully I will never find out first hand. I would not give insurance docs unless in emergency.

iansheff - I've already mentioned I'm not going on a package deal.

Yes I know but just thought I would mention it as it could be useful for people if they didn't know and were thinking of not bothering.

Yes I know but just thought I would mention it as it could be useful for people if they didn't know and were thinking of not bothering.

That doesn't make sense, it doesn't follow. The package deals I know of only make you tick a box to say you have insurance, they haven't checked. Some people do travel without insurance. I think its crazy but apparently lots do it.

That doesn't make sense, it doesn't follow. The package deals I know of only make you tick a box to say you have insurance, they haven't checked. Some people do travel without insurance. I think its crazy but apparently lots do it.

Some now ask for your insurance details before you go.

I'm not in the same age bracket as the OP, but to try to answer the original question.

I buy annual, multi trip, worldwide (inc USA) travel insurance, that includes scuba and winter sports. I normally pay about £75 for it, or less. I've previously used Debenhams Insurance (that's one I remember), but I normally just use moneysupermarket to do a comparison and pick the cheapest one with the level of cover I need.