Man takes videos off YouTube - makes national press

I think I'm getting old. Some bloke called Sam pepper (bit of a grubby individual it turns out)made some "hilarious" prank videos which it now turns out were staged. So far, so what.

But this is news - not the sun or E! but the bbc and God forbid the independent. Am I missing something?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35658395/youtuber-sam-pepper-says-he-faked-his-videos-and-apologises

I think I'm getting old. Some bloke called Sam pepper (bit of a grubby individual it turns out)made some "hilarious" prank videos which it now turns out were staged. So far, so what.

But this is news - not the sun or E! but the bbc and God forbid the independent. Am I missing something?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35658395/youtuber-sam-pepper-says-he-faked-his-videos-and-apologises

:hihi:

Hmmm...

.... I wonder if I took down my 'hilarious' 'mildly amusing' 12 forum days of Christmas video from YouTube I might get a mention in the Star? :huh:

...But this is news - not the sun or E! but the bbc and God forbid the independent. Am I missing something?

It's not news; it's click bait. It is the Newsbeat site though, so aiming for young YouTuber crowd isn't entirely unexpected. Having said that, the BBC news site has been similarly 'you won't believe what happened next!' witless on a semi-regular basis since the upgrade last year.

Sam Pepper looks like a fine, upstanding bloke, doesn't he?

It's not news; it's click bait. It is the Newsbeat site though, so aiming for young YouTuber crowd isn't entirely unexpected. Having said that, the BBC news site has been similarly 'you won't believe what happened next!' witless on a semi-regular basis since the upgrade last year.

Sam Pepper looks like a fine, upstanding bloke, doesn't he?

:hihi:

Have you watched the video though?

A brief summary:

He apparently became 'famous' by conning his audience with fake staged videos. This got him lots of views and made him lots of money(?). YouTube was his life. It's what he did for a job. All was well.

People(kids?) believed his staged videos were for real, so when he went 'a bit too far' his audience finally realised they had been conned and turned on him and became haters. He couldn't handle it, poor soul... and so has made another video hoping we'll all feel sorry for him.

So I suppose it is (old) news in a way... in that it highlights the dangers of the interweb and how you shouldn't believe all you see or read on it. :|