Just bought a car, need advice about tax

Those things are independent now.

They don't check insurance when you go tax it on post office.

I don't think you can tax it online without V5 in your name.

Your insurance is probably invalid without tax but noone will stop you from buying it.

Your insurance is probably invalid without tax but noone will stop you from buying it.

You might not have to show your insurance certificate at the post office, but when they scan the V5/green slip or tax reminder it will automatically tell them whether the car is insured or not. You cannot tax an uninsured vehicle!!

You might not have to show your insurance certificate at the post office, but when they scan the V5/green slip or tax reminder it will automatically tell them whether the car is insured or not. You cannot tax an uninsured vehicle!!

Post office is no longer bothered about your insurance.

Insurance checks have been removed by DVL along with paper tax disc.

It's all on DVLA website, but not that easy to find. Probably because it's DVLA, so getting any solid answer out of them is a bit of a struggle.

Enforcement of insurance has been moved to appropriate bodies - DVLA and police. Post office is not appropriate body to enforce anything, they are there to deliver things and sell you road tax.

Registered keeper is responsible for having insurance, tax and MOT.

You can be missing any one of those if you wish and still get other two.

Post office is no longer bothered about your insurance.

Insurance checks have been removed by DVL along with paper tax disc.

It's all on DVLA website, but not that easy to find. Probably because it's DVLA, so getting any solid answer out of them is a bit of a struggle.

Enforcement of insurance has been moved to appropriate bodies - DVLA and police. Post office is not appropriate body to enforce anything, they are there to deliver things and sell you road tax.

Registered keeper is responsible for having insurance, tax and MOT.

You can be missing any one of those if you wish and still get other two.

Until you post a link to where it says otherwise, I am sticking to my guns in saying you cannot tax an uninsured vehicle.

What documents will I need to bring to the Post Office?

You need either a reminder from DVLA (know as a V11) or your Registration Certificate (known as a V5C).

If you have lost your V5C Registration Certificate, you can tax using a V62.

You’ll also need an up to date MOT – which has to be valid when your tax first starts.

If it’s a goods vehicle or a public vehicle, you might need a valid GVT or PSVC.

Only in Northern Ireland do you need proof of insurance:

If taxing a vehicle registered to a Northern Ireland address you will need to show a valid vehicle insurance certificate or cover note.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/vehicle-tax/changes

You can tax online using the new keeper supplement, not sure if you need insurance in place. I need to tax my bike, so I've been researching it. I've insured it but I can't tax it until it's been through an MOT. It's currently SORN until it's been tested, but we need insurance to ride it to the test centre (and in case it gets stolen).

If you're buying a vehicle and aren't going to tax it straightaway, make sure you SORN it as soon as you get the logbook back.

You do not have to show proof of insurance at the Post Office (except in NI) because they check the DVLA/Insurance database. you still have to have insurance on your car to tax it.

I'm not convinced that's the case; you have to have insurance on your car to use it, not tax it.

Since the advent of continuous insurance, checks were effectively being made twice, which obviously cost more money in admin.

See the following link;

http://stayinsured.askmid.com/documents/DVLA_insurance_and_SORN_press_notice_December_2013.pdf

This followed on from the consultative document here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/267400/Annex_A_-_consultation_responses_summary.pdf

I don't believe that your insurance is checked in order to take out VED, however insurance is required if your vehicle isn't SORNed.

Thus, since no checks are made at the point of sale of VED, either at the PO or on line, all that will happen is that the registered keeper will subsequently receive a fine for having an uninsured vehicle which isn't SORNed.

i.e. That useful safety net, whereby you couldn't pay VED your car if you'd forgotten to renew your insurance, has now been removed.

I would expect more folks to be fined for inadvertently missing their insurance renewal accidentally.

Just what we need, more uninsured drivers, albeit unintentionally. (That's 6 points and a fine if caught driving on the road, or in a public place; assuming you get away with a FPN rather than a court visit)

Edited by peak4

I'm not convinced that's the case; you have to have insurance on your car to use it, not tax it.

You're correct. Its the Post Office's job to just issue tax now (although not paper discs!), not police motorists to ensure they're insured. That's the job of the back-end database systems and ANPR cameras.

This topic was on the Forum some months ago and I posted that insurance was not required to tax a car and I was shot down in flames.So I E.Mailed the DVLA with the following hypothetical question.I said I was buying another car, and whilst I could get insurance cover immediately on the phone,from past experience I knew it would take about 10 days for the documents to come, so would I have to declare SORN until I could tax the car.They replied that insurance cover was not now required to obtain tax because frequent insurance checks were now made on all vehicles.