Ecclesfield Road (Woolley Wood Bottom) speed limit/closures

rudds1

That road is a 60mph road.

It should remain a 60

-

Actually the most dangerous section is the junction with deep lane where people try to join the road by simply pulling out without looking, that's where the majority of accidents occur and it has nothing to do with the 60mph speed limit.

How many accidents are there?!

At the junction with deep lane quite a few, I've seen (not witnessed but seen the aftermath of) four there since the start of last year and that's before you get to the national speed limit.

On the national speed limit part I'm aware of two in the same time period, both single car accidents caused by people not driving appropriately for the weather conditions (heavy rain both times)

You obviously dont use it on sheffields crater filled roads often then

I take it your LR never travels to Birmingham or Manchester?

"Manchester has ranked second in a list of UK cities with the highest number of accident claims filed against local councils in 2014, citing Manchester's roads as one of the main talked about issues.

The data, provided by First4lawyers, placed Manchester behind Birmingham in the number of accidents on council owned land, while Newcastle was third on the list."

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/140974276-potholes-galore-manchester-ranked-second-highest-number-uk-accident-claims

At the junction with deep lane quite a few, I've seen (not witnessed but seen the aftermath of) four there since the start of last year and that's before you get to the national speed limit.

On the national speed limit part I'm aware of two in the same time period, both single car accidents caused by people not driving appropriately for the weather conditions (heavy rain both times)

Thankyou...

That supports my earlier post that the speed limit should be reduced.

If drivers are not capable of driving to the road conditions, then a lower speed limit should be imposed on them.

Reduce it to 40 mph and stick a couple of cameras on there to enforce it.

It isn't a long road anyway, so a reduction in speed would add (maybe) half a minute to travelling time and make it much safer.

Why should we have to drive at snail pace just because so idiots don't know how to drive to conditions. No one's fault but there own. These crashes were one car accidents who should have known better. Just because they weren't apparently speeding it doesn't mean it's safe.

I mean someone gets killed on Tyler Street, minutes away from here. Straight away there should be a camera, there should be a crossing. Why? It wasn't crossing the road that made it happen, hey it wasn't even speeding but let's do it anyway. The camera on there is pointless, nobody goes any slower. What a waste of money.

Edited by jensen1378

Thankyou...

That supports my earlier post that the speed limit should be reduced.

If drivers are not capable of driving to the road conditions, then a lower speed limit should be imposed on them.

Reduce it to 40 mph and stick a couple of cameras on there to enforce it.

It isn't a long road anyway, so a reduction in speed would add (maybe) half a minute to travelling time and make it much safer.

I'm not quite sure how that supports anything you've said

If drivers are not capable of driving to the road conditions the only thing this supports is that they really, really shouldn't be on the road to begin with.

I completely agree with putting up the new recommended speed signs, I also think that their should be a double white line to encourage people to stop overtaking.

It's not a long stretch, and the council would put at most one speed camera on there which would mean drivers would slow down just for the camera then just speed off after it.

A reduction in speed limit wouldn't stop those who are going to speed speeding, nor would it stop drivers who for whatever insane reason don't, or are unable to drive in accordance with the road conditions.

The most dangerous thing about the 60mph stretch is drivers going too slow (and I'm not talking about driving right up to or exceeding the speed limit, I would say weather permitting 45 mph plus is fine on there) I'm talking about those who are doing 25, 30, even up to a consistent 40 mph which encourages those behind them to try dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.

It really is quite simple, it is a 60mph road, if you are incapable of achieving speeds of over 40mph on there you really should consider your fitness to be on the road at all.

Let me also just stress that I'm not simply a speed freak, there are roads that really shouldn't be national speed limit like that ridiculous stretch going from Upper to lower Bradfield that is exceptionally steep and winding, but under no circumstances is Wooly Wood Bottom one of them.

I'm not quite sure how that supports anything you've said

If drivers are not capable of driving to the road conditions the only thing this supports is that they really, really shouldn't be on the road to begin with.

I completely agree with putting up the new recommended speed signs, I also think that their should be a double white line to encourage people to stop overtaking.

It's not a long stretch, and the council would put at most one speed camera on there which would mean drivers would slow down just for the camera then just speed off after it.

A reduction in speed limit wouldn't stop those who are going to speed speeding, nor would it stop drivers who for whatever insane reason don't, or are unable to drive in accordance with the road conditions.

The most dangerous thing about the 60mph stretch is drivers going too slow (and I'm not talking about driving right up to or exceeding the speed limit, I would say weather permitting 45 mph plus is fine on there) I'm talking about those who are doing 25, 30, even up to a consistent 40 mph which encourages those behind them to try dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.

It really is quite simple, it is a 60mph road, if you are incapable of achieving speeds of over 40mph on there you really should consider your fitness to be on the road at all.

Let me also just stress that I'm not simply a speed freak, there are roads that really shouldn't be national speed limit like that ridiculous stretch going from Upper to lower Bradfield that is exceptionally steep and winding, but under no circumstances is Wooly Wood Bottom one of them.

A solid white line system is only put down (by default) where vision is less than 200 metres. It can be installed where vision is better than this but the Council has to apply for special dispensation and the cost often gets in the way.

After all, they would also be looking to maximise compliance and they might take the view that the level of compliance would be too low and they'd look at alternative traffic calming measures (hatching, bollards, bike lanes) that narrow the road. But these all cost a great deal.