Loch Fyne closure!

mossdog

Well this surprised me. It's been there for quite a while so I assumed it did enough trade.

Huge floor space and hardly anyone went in.

Must have lost a fortune.

... though if this is right lately, then it wouldn't last. The rent must be huge.

Hanrahans in the 90s was a top place and always seemed busy. It was then refurbished in a tacky way which I thought ruined it completely before being turned into Loch Fyne.

Anyone know the real story of Hanrahans demise? It was a landmark Sheffield bar back in the day.

Probably location. Who goes around there now with any money? I think the demise was the growth of Ecclesall Road.

Imagine if you could transport that building/grounds onto somewhere around the popular bar areas on Ecclesall Road now. It would have be snapped up in seconds.

For a while in the 90's Hanarahans was part of a fairly small circuit of "upmarket" American style bars where people went to be see and be seen, hang out with Footballers and other wealthy people of Sheffield.

The other places were The Woodstock Ecclesall Rd south, Champs, Henrys in town and for a while Michelle's at Beauchief.

However things change that type of bar went out of fashion not least because they were really expensive I remember paying £5 for a bottle of bud back then!

Also more people used to drink and drive in those days.

When Loch Fyne first opened it did very well ,other than going to Ecclesall Road it were one of few seafood restaurants in this area.

Over the years it has gradually gone down hill , the service got worse and the food got worse, each time I went back I was hoping it would be better than the last time.

I think the buck stops at the top, if they had employed experienced staff and especially an experienced chef then this place could have been full most evenings.

You can't believe some of the half cooked rubbish they have been turning out over the past year. It also took on a nasty smell that wasn't to do with the fish and the tables were always sticky. It's such a shame as it started off so well but I hear the one in Leeds has the same problems. All boils down to bad management.

When we used to go to Cambridge regularly a few years ago,we always called at the Loch Fyne there, which was owned by the originators before they sold out to Greene King pubco.

The difference to the Sheffield based one was light years in every way!

The sea food actually came from Loch Fyne in Scotland,whereas I bet nothing now comes from there!......the lobsters were fantastic,not the dull little Canadian frozen things served these days,which to my way of thinking seem undersized by our countries standards but because they are imported may get round regulations somehow.

I know they only seem half the size of the old Loch Fyne and half as tasty.

But hey!........what do you expect from a Pubco!.......and totally agree that not too bad for a few months after opening but gradually went downhill from there!

Edited by mossdog

Would make a great hotel.

Plenty of patient relatives always looking for accommodation closeby the RHH.

Yes, most probably.

Or perhaps something integrated into the student union bar/club if could get late license.

I can't see what else it could be now, unless the university buy it as it is right in their area.

There are around 40, as far as I am aware. Profits were below £500,000 a couple of years ago. I didn't go that often but soon twigged that the best things to order were the ones they didn't have to cook, or not very much. Always enjoyed the fruits de mer. One of those with a bottle of Chablis used to make my day.

With the Mediterranean gone to pot (there's a great fish restaurant next door but supplies some from a national concern) and Seafayre closed we don't have a proper fish restaurant any more.