University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

Christian student kicked off Sheffield University course for anti-gay Facebook post.

Would you get kicked out for being caught for speeding, drink driving?

There does seem to be some serious infringements on peoples freedoms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christian-student-kicked-off-sheffield-university-course-for-anti-gay-facebook-post-a6902781.html

Christian student kicked off Sheffield University course for anti-gay Facebook post.

Would you get kicked out for being caught for speeding, drink driving?

There does seem to be some serious infringements on peoples freedoms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christian-student-kicked-off-sheffield-university-course-for-anti-gay-facebook-post-a6902781.html

There is a bit more of a background to the story. He was removed under fitness to practice as a social worker grounds, rather than just being kicked off his university course.

• Like 1

Good work by the University. I would like to think that social worker employers are as professionally rigorous but looking at Rotherham and hearing the rumours about Sheffield it is hard to be as confident.

Good (I think - I'm still on the fence when it comes to policing people's thoughts however wrong they may be) but I hope who ever runs the course is checking everybody else's social media on said course, otherwise it's a bit off.

Good (I think - I'm still on the fence when it comes to policing people's thoughts however wrong they may be) but I hope who ever runs the course is checking everybody else's social media on said course, otherwise it's a bit off.

The University isn't kicking him off for his thoughts, they're doing it for his actions. If he kept his thoughts to himself, or even if he hadn't shared his thoughts on social media he'd have been alright.

The University isn't kicking him off for his thoughts, they're doing it for his actions. If he kept his thoughts to himself, or even if he hadn't shared his thoughts on social media he'd have been alright.

So you can think what you like - legal thoughts in this case to the best of my knowledge, ones that are shared with a lot of Christians (I wonder what Dan walker thinks of all this ;)) but can't articulate them on your own Facebook page?

I'm not defending him, you can't be a social worker and carry any sort of predujice and do your job effectivly. Giving him the boot from his job doesn't worry me much. Giving him the boot from his course at a centre of higher learning because he has a different world view (and daring to articulate on social media) does. What happened to challenging ideas or have I got the concept of higher education wrong?

So you can think what you like - legal thoughts in this case to the best of my knowledge, ones that are shared with a lot of Christians (I wonder what Dan walker thinks of all this ;)) but can't articulate them on your own Facebook page?

I'm not defending him, you can't be a social worker and carry any sort of predujice and do your job effectivly. Giving him the boot from his job doesn't worry me much. Giving him the boot from his course at a centre of higher learning because he has a different world view (and daring to articulate on social media) does. What happened to challenging ideas or have I got the concept of higher education wrong?

This isn't a higher education thing, this is a fitness to practice as a social worker thing. The person in question would have agreed to a code of conduct expected of a social worker before he entered the course, and he was dismissed for breaking that code of conduct.

This isn't a higher education thing, this is a fitness to practice as a social worker thing. The person in question would have agreed to a code of conduct expected of a social worker before he entered the course, and he was dismissed for breaking that code of conduct.

Do you think we have qualified social workers with things like this on their Facebook page and should they be sacked if they do?

Do you think we have qualified social workers with things like this on their Facebook page and should they be sacked if they do?

If it goes against their professional code of conduct, then it certainly needs addressing.

My professional code of conduct states that I have to treat social media just like I would all forms of media, so if it would not be appropriate for me to say something to a newspaper or a TV interview, then it's not appropriate to say it on social media.

So I could be sacked for making the same comment on Facebook.