University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

A preconceived opinion is formed before having the evidence for its truth, so he didn't express it without evidence because he actually posted the evidence in the form of a quote from the bible. You and I might believe the Bible and Koran are a load of old crock but to the believers they are truth.

I wonder what would happen if he had said the Bible and Koran are abominations.

That's a fantastic logic contortion you did there, and you still don't believe it, though a Norse myth reference would have capped it off beautifully. Nice one! :)

That's a fantastic logic contortion you did there, and you still don't believe it, though a Norse myth reference would have capped it off beautifully. Nice one! :)

No its Empathy, the capacity to understand or feel what another being is experiencing from within the other being's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's position.

A social worker gloated about having three children taken into care on her publicly accessible Facebook page and bragged about the power she felt.

However, she has not been struck off. Instead, she must be closely monitored by a line manager for a year.

Google is full of stories about police officers, social workers posting on social media, some are sacked and some are not most posted far worse than a bible quote. The above story stood out.

You have no idea how each individual approached their disciplinary meeting, which obviously would have influenced the outcome of the disciplinary process.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 09:39 ----------

Why do you think it was aired in public? The article in the Mail states he posted it privately.

I'm afraid many professional bodies judge social media as being part of the media, so Facebook is seen as being public.

The fact that most believe that homosexuality is a sin must also make them unsuitable to be social workers, its claimed that his beliefs would make him a unsuitable to be a social worker, so everyone with the same beliefs would also make be unsuitable. If prejudice makes someone unsuitable then everyone would be unsuitable, not that his opinion could in anyway be described as a prejudice, he didn't express a preconceived opinion about anyone.

I agree with your sentiments.

Having a strong religeous belief doesn't make a person prejudice. There was a case a few years ago involving a married christian couple who didn't allow a gay couple to stay in their very small B&B because of their religeous beliefs.

The gay couple took the christian B&B couple to court and won the case. The christain couple denied they were discriminating, just following their strong religious beliefs. In my opinion the gay couple were being petty and vindictive towards the elderly christian couple because it was only a small establishment which was also the couples own home and not a large hotel. We still are a christian country and people should not be persecuted for following or expressing christian beliefs.

However, in these days of nonsense political correctness anyone going on Facebook is stupid for saying anything which can get themselves into trouble with those who are in a position to sack them from their job, or remove them from an educational establishment.

Edited by Gamston
typo

I'm afraid many professional bodies judge social media as being part of the media, so Facebook is seen as being public.

This is what so many people cannot understand. It is media.

By "posting" something. You are putting a statement/comment/picture or whatever else out there into the vast uncontrolled world of public gaze. You have no control over who sees it, passes it on, responds to it and/or how those people will react.

Facebook postings / Twitter / Forums are not private communications unless they are strictly set as so. 99% of the time people happy chuck stuff on without thought as to how to or even caring about limiting the sight of it and/or restricting such posts to a small number of authorised persons.

They are not emails full of disclaimers about privileged information.

If people actually sat and thought for a moment I doubt half of the comments / opinions / jokes / "banter" would be so openly disclosed.

Would they put such a view in writing to say, a national newspaper, named with their photograph next to it? Would they happily send their drunken picture or silly duck faces onto a national television show to be broadcast to the world? I highly doubt it.

Seriously, why do people not realise that social media is no different.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:26 ----------

Having a strong religeous belief doesn't make a person prejudice. There was a case a few years ago involving a married christian couple who didn't allow a gay couple to stay in their very small B&B because of their religeous beliefs.

The gay couple took the christian B&B couple to court and won the case. The christain couple denied they were discriminating, just following their strong religious beliefs. In my opinion the gay couple were being petty and vindictive towards the elderly christian couple because it was only a small establishment which was also the couples own home and not a large hotel. We still are a christian country and people should not be persecuted for following or expressing christian beliefs.

However, in these days of nonsense political correctness anyone going on Facebook is stupid for saying anything which can get themselves into trouble with those who are in a position to sack them from their job, or remove them from an educational establishment.

Totally irrelevant. It was a business. A business which sole purpose was accommodation for people to stay in. They had absolutely no grounds to discriminate the gay couple solely because of someone's sexual orientation.

They CHOSE to be in business and they have to realise that not all guests will have the same beliefs as themselves.

They are perfectly entitled to choose not to allow such people in their own private home. However, as soon as they decide to open part or all of it up as a business its a totally different situation.

this is a 38 year old man, who presumably has some educational qualifications . from what I see on facebook every post has a "share" button. now this means that someone can share the post. O.K but it may then go to someone who disagrees, and decides to make a complaint. seeing as I do not know how the university became aware of his post could this be the case? and to repeat what has been said so many times -- think about what you are posting before you do it.

There was also the story of the gay couple that wanted a cake, the Christian baker was prosecuted for refusing to bake a cake with the words I support gay marriage, a group of Christians went out and asked gay bakers to bake a cake saying I oppose gay marriage, none of them would bake it, what a surprise.

There was also the case of the Relate Counsellor, Gary McFarlane who was sacked because he refused to counsel same sex couples. He complained to the European Court that Relate didn't accommodate his religious beliefs, though they sided with his employer.

Very strange as, like the University student under discussion, he could have anticipated that he may have to support gay people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8651417.stm

People might not like who we are or what we do, they cannot discriminate in the provision of public services - that's the law. Perhaps they should choose a different profession???

With regards to the B&B owners I'm not sure the size of the business or the business owners age is relevant, however had me & my partner chose to stay the night with them I probably would've taken the decision not to seek legal proceedings. Ditto with the bakers in Ireland - I would've just gone to a different bakery. Though that's purely a personal thing

Edited by Mister M

Christian student kicked off Sheffield University course for anti-gay Facebook post.

Would you get kicked out for being caught for speeding, drink driving?

There does seem to be some serious infringements on peoples freedoms.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christian-student-kicked-off-sheffield-university-course-for-anti-gay-facebook-post-a6902781.html

Being anti gay is stupid. Making anti gay comments on line is asking for trouble. They did the right thing binning him Religion is no excuse for homophobia.

There was also the case of the Relate Counsellor, Gary McFarlane who was sacked because he refused to counsel same sex couples. He complained to the European Court that Relate didn't accommodate his religious beliefs, though they sided with his employer.

Very strange as, like the University student under discussion, he could have anticipated that he may have to support gay people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8651417.stm

People might not like who we are or what we do, they cannot discriminate in the provision of public services - that's the law. Perhaps they should choose a different profession???

With regards to the B&B owners I'm not sure the size of the business or the business owners age is relevant, however had me & my partner chose to stay the night with them I probably would've taken the decision not to seek legal proceedings. Ditto with the bakers in Ireland - I would've just gone to a different bakery. Though that's purely a personal thing

You would be literally going on holiday or buying a cake - you aren't trying to get your name in the papers. Whilst what the B&B owners did was wrong, a nasty trip advisor review and the matter highlighted with the relevant authorities might have sufficed. It didn't need dragging through the courts.